- celestial body: 天体
- celestial empire, Chinese empire: 天朝大国
- If a book is a loose leaf, this means that it does not have a traditional binding like a hardcover (精装书) or a paperback (简装书): basically, a loose leaf edition is just a stack of pages which may be three-hole-punched (打孔) so that they could be held together by a binder.
- curds (凝乳) and whey (乳清)
- A raffle (抽奖) is a type of contest in which participants purchase tickets in exchange for chances to win a prize.
- seedless raisins (葡萄干，提子干)
- Bigshot psychologist, unhappy when his famous finding does not replicate, won’t consider that he might have been wrong; instead he scrambles furiously (激烈地，狂怒地) to preserve his theories.
- zealot: 狂热者
- A truly brave man is even serene (安静，宁静); he is never taken by surprise; nothing ruffles the equanimity (镇定) of his spirit.
- Onychectomy (除爪手术), popularly known as declawing, is an operation to remove an animal’s claws surgically by means of the amputation (截肢) of all or part of the distal (末梢的，末端的) phalanges (趾骨), or end bones, or the animal’s toes.
- ostrich: 鸵鸟
- racquetball: 壁球
- cheerleading: 啦啦队
- cheerleader: 啦啦队队长
- Human meridian (Jingluo) system was by hypothesized by traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for thousands of years, suggesting twelve formal meridian channels going through respective organs, carrying fluid and energy, and laying thermal effects.
- Dig a pit (深坑，矿井) and bury (掩埋，埋藏) the garbage.
- gay (男同性恋) and lesbian (女同性恋)
- the calamity (灾祸，灾难) of the 1918 flu pandemic.
- left ventricle: 左心室
- The most salient (突出) point of any pie chart is that the percentages add up to 100%.
- For a time, it appears, Homo erectus (直立人) was the only hominid (人类及其祖先的) species on Earth.
- sandpit: 采沙坑
- Much as I abominate (讨厌，不喜欢) writing, I would not give up his correspondence for any consideration.
- gobbledygook: 官样文章
- incestuous: 乱伦的，近亲繁殖的
- neonatology: 新生儿科学
- trophy: 战利品，奖品
- trophy cup: 奖杯
- trophy wife: 花瓶妻子（以青春和美貌为本钱的妻子）
- Mussolini: 独裁者墨索里尼
- jerk: 性情古怪的人
- alchemy: 点金术
- I am a dreamer, but I’m also extremely pragmatic (务实的).
- The Regency (摄政时代) in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was a period at the end of the Georgian era, when King George III was deemed unfit to rule due to his illness. The term Regency (or Regency era) can refer to various stretches of time; some are longer than the decade of the formal Regency, which lasted from 1811 to 1820. wiki
- Hyatt Regency: 凯悦酒店
- Phenological (颅相学的) responses to climate change (e.g. earlier leaf-out or egg hatch (孵化) date) are now well documented and clearly linked to rising temperatures in recent decades.
- a list of big, high profile goals that proved far more challenging than people had anticipated circa (「与日期连用」大约) 1970
- I admire the authors for simply admitting they made an error and stating clearly and without equivocation (模棱两可的话) that their original conclusions were not substantiated (证明，证实).
- It is not a panacea (万能药) for every problem of statistical inference, nor does it apply equally effectively to every type of random process in its simplest form.
- If X_i denoted the hexamine (六胺) content of the i-th pallet (货板) produced by a palletizing (码垛) machine under identical production conditions,…
- We get bacon and ham (火腿，香肠) from pigs.
- Are they doomed (注定) to live in squalor (悲惨)?
- but also exposes imho the chasm (裂口，分歧) existing between statistical and machine learning perspectives on the problem.
- IMHO: in my humble opinion, 依本人愚见，恕我直言
- If you refuse to let them go, I will bring locusts (蝗虫) into your country tomorrow. They will cover the face of the ground so that it cannot be seen. They will devour (吞食) what little you have left after the hail (冰雹), including every tree that is growing in your fields.
- The five countries formed a regional trade bloc (集团，联盟).
- You were epically (宏伟地，史诗式地) productive last week.
- A lot of propaganda (宣传) has painted him as bad.
- R. A. Fisher is usually perceived to have been a staunch (坚定的，忠诚的) critic of the Bayesian approach to statistic.
- Addressing envelopes all day long is dreary (沉闷单调) work.
- The drought (干旱) depressed the water level in the reservoirs (水库).
- Fudged (篡改) statistics on the Iraq War (伊拉克战争) death are still circulating today.
- Japan decided to resume whaling last week after a year long moratorium (暂停).
- donkey: 驴
- I get vertigo (眩晕) on the step stool (凳子).
- If something tickles (使发痒) you, it makes you laugh.
- It really does not tickle my fancy. 它真的无法让我提起兴趣。
- It’s better to report results clearly and graphically rather than contorting (扭曲) the data to support some particular claim.
- It empowers (使能够，授权，允许) you to put your best foot forward (全力以赴, embark on (从事) an undertaking (工作，任务) with as much effort and determination as possible) through exclusive access to features like vocabulary enhancement and suggestions for improving style and tone.
- empower your dream: 成就你的梦想
- When I sing on stage I feel empowered (感觉很有力量).
- Scarcity (稀缺性) means we must make a choice.
- Soak (渗透，浸泡) the vegetables before cooking to clear the remnant (剩余，残留) of pesticides (杀虫剂).
- He generously (慷慨地) presented all their property to the state.
- The cherry trees are in full blossom (正开着花) now. See also: 樱桃花 vs 樱花
- My consciousness dissipated in a final whiff (一点点) of warm exhalation (呼气).
- Mortgage-Backed Securities (MBS, 不动产抵押贷款证券) and the Financial Crisis of 2008: A Post Mortem
- The AAA tranches (在投资界，用来描述可以被分割成并卖给投资者的小额证券) of subprime science.
- subprime mortgage: 次级贷款
- subprime mortgage crisis: 次贷危机
- A long lost hope can be rekindled (重燃).
- a harbor clotted (凝结) with sunken (沉没的) vessel (船，舰)
- blood clot: 血凝块，血块
- Government efforts to resuscitate (使复活，使苏醒) the market have flopped (彻底失败，不成功).
- The cosmological application therein deals with the incorporation of recent measurement in the study of ΛCDM cosmological model.
- The SDSS (Sloan Digital Sky Survey)-III’s Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey (BOSS) was designed to measure the expansion rate of the universe.
- The central ideas of this earlier paper are the introduction of conformal Hamiltonian dynamics, where a dissipative (耗散的) term is added to the ODE found in HMC.
- As someone who has worked in AI for decades, I’ve witnessed the failure of similar predictions of imminent (迫近的，即将来临的) human-level AI, and I’m certain these latest forecasts will fall short (fail to meet expectations or standards) as well.
- The article on the CSI effect demonstrates a statistical fallacy, which is the view that, once a statistically significant result has been found, that this retroactively (追溯地) removes all concerns about inferential uncertainty due to variation in the data.
- It was around this time that the predicament (困难的处境，窘境) of my existence struck me with a jolt (震惊，惊讶).
- The field is interspersed (散布，散置) with wild flowers.
- Is consciousness an emergent (意外的，自然发生的) but otherwise peripheral (次要的，外围的) phenomenon of the compression demanded by the tremendous pressure of the objective, or the key algorithmic innovation, incrementally constructed, perfected and reliably converged on in the program space?
- emergent light: 应急灯
- I reveled (狂欢，陶醉) at this epiphany (【宗】(每年一月六日纪念耶稣显灵的)显现节；(神的)显现) for a layer or two.
- Machine learning researchers like to call these evil forged images as “adversarial (敌对的，对抗的) samples”.
- Heresy (Herecy, 异端) is any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs.
- Students read, flirt (调情), converse (交谈), mediate (冥想，深思), brood (沉思).
- I highly value self-motivation, initiative (主动性) and creativity.
- peace initiative: 和平倡议
- It has its perils (危险) and its merits (优点、好处).
- merits and demerits: 优缺点
- Water shortages also imperil (使陷于危险，危及) plans to expand energy production, threatening economic growth.
- The coronavirus debacle (崩溃，灾害) now threatens to do the same to Boris Johnson.
- And instead, he watched those tensions ratchet up (逐渐升高) even further.
- ratchet: (防倒转的)棘齿
- Huckleberry friend: 童年和少年时代的好友，背景是天真无邪、无忧无虑的玩耍场面。see also
- ladder type
- It’s a total rip-off (盗窃) of an American reality show, but the imitation is unbearably clumsy.
- the principle of this idea of dissonance (不调和，不和谐音) resolving to consonance (调和，和音).
- A centenarian is a person who lives to or beyond the age of 100 years. A supercentenarian is someone who has lived to or passed their 110th birthday.
- It was pretty nonsensical (无意义的，荒谬的) which makes me wonder if I could get more viewers for Loaded if I just started running my mouth and talking nonsense.
- It’s perfect, you know. It’s gorgeous (极好的，非常漂亮的). It’s almost uncanny (神奇的，离奇的，神秘的).
- uncanny valley: 恐怖谷，恐怖谷理论
- A relatively small variation in breakfast’s macronutrient (营养素) composition has a striking impact on social decisions.
- It was hard to say which class was more cordially (热诚地，友善地) hated by the settled citizenry, the impractical Yankee (美国北方人的) schoolmarms (女教师) or the Scallawags (white Southerners, also spelled as Scalawag), but the balance probably fell with the latter.
- Shock waves are produced as young hot stars ionize (电离) the surrounding gas, forming emission nebulae.
- A protostar (原恒星) is a very young star that is still gathering mass from its parent molecular cloud. The protosteller (原恒星的) phase is the earliest one in the process of stellar (星的) evolution. The phase begins when a molecular cloud first collapses under the force of self-gravity. It ends when the protostar blows back the infalling gas and is revealed as an optically visible pre-main-sequence star, which later contracts to become a main sequence star.
- The Ph.D. process is exhausting, and some leave the field after the grad school grind, never again to publish in a scientific journal. Others, though, find it exhilarating (令人振奋的), and go on to highly productive careers.
- We begin by studying how interstellar clouds of gas and dust are transformed into the myriad (无数的) stars throughout the night sky.
- stellar nurseries (a child’s room for a bady) are scenes of violent outbursts, interstellar shock waves, even actual collisions, as prestellar fragments grow in mass and compete for resources in a newborn cluster.
- nursery school: 幼儿园
- a large mosaic of a billion bits of data stitched (缝，缝合) together from hundreds of small images
- the loose matter comparising the surrounding nebulosity (星云).
- The infrared spectrum (红外光谱) at bottom was acquired by Europe’s Herschel (赫歇尔) Space Observatory.
- We do not see this activity (billions of stars have been born, lived out their lives, and died since our Galaxy formed) when we gaze (凝视) at the nighttime sky, because the time scales on which starts play out this cosmic (宇宙的) drama are enormously long by human standards.
- The road from a gas cloud to a single, isolated star like the Sun is long and tortuous indeed!
- The real lesson learned from those academic hoaxes (骗局): a key part of getting a paper published in a scholarly journal is to be able to follow the conventions of the journal.
- virus hoax: 病毒恶作剧
- The daemon process is terminated automatically before the main program exits, to avoid leaving orphaned (孤立的) processes running.
- orphan asylum: 孤儿院
- In multitasking computer operating systems, a daemon (守护进程) is a computer program that runs as a background process, rather than being under the direct control of an interactive user. In a Unix environment, the parent process of a daemon is often, but not always, the init process.
- It usually more useful to be able to spawn (产卵，引发，导致) a process with arguments to tell it what work to do.
- Facts matter. Fairness matters. The presumption (假定，认定) of innocence is sacrosanct (极其神圣的，不可侵犯的).
- Conjoint analysis (联合分析), also called multi-attribute compositional models or stated preference analysis, is a statisical technique that originated in mathematical psychology.
- Free range denotes a method of farming husbandry (畜牧，饲养，农业) where the animals, for at least part of the day, can roam freely outdoors, rather than being confined in an enclosure for 24 hours each day.
- organically fed, free range chicken：有机喂养的散养鸡
- Milky Way (galaxy): 银河，银河系
- It’s the accountant/economist’s dilemma of disregarding (不理会，无视) sunk costs (沉没成本，已支付成本).
- According to the economist Paul Krugman (2013), a zombie (僵尸) idea is a view that’s been thoroughly refuted by a mountain of empirical evidence but nonetheless refuses to die, being continually reanimated by our deeply held beliefs. source
- immigrants do not have a greater-than-average arrest and incarceration (监禁，下狱) rates.
- Venus: 金星，爱神维纳斯
- Jupiter: 木星，众之王朱庇特
- Mars: 火星，战神马尔斯
- He is allergic (过敏的) to lobster (龙虾).
- We have got to instill (徐徐滴入；逐渐灌输) values in these young people.
- The hijackers (劫持者) released three of the hostages (人质).
- Then top with marshmallows (棉花糖), and bake again until brown. 然后加入棉花糖，再烘烤至棕色。
- Polio (小儿麻痹症，脊髓灰质炎), short for poliomyelitis, is a highly infectious disease.
- The finding, from the Laser Interferometer (干涉仪) Gravitational-Wave Observatory, or LIGO (激光干涉引力波天文台), showed that extreme gravity can cause ripples (波纹，涟漪) in spacetime.
- Colliding dust grains formed larger and larger clumps (团块).
- clunky (沉重的，笨重的) high-heel shoes
- the symbolic meaning of a Manhattan project (麦哈顿计划) and a moonshot (月球探测器).
- The julia language bills (宣传) itself as “fresh approach to technical computing”.
- Music is an aurally (听觉上) perceived (察觉，感知) phenomenon.
- He’s been arrested on suspension of intoxication (陶醉，酩酊大醉) manslaughter (过失杀人).
- alcohol intoxication: 酒精中毒
- Yet as soon as the UN Security Council issued new sanctions against the regime as a result of the rocket launch, the response was apoplectic (大怒的，十分生气的), warning of more tests and threatening to attack America.
- apoplectic patients: 中风患者
- His attorney (代理人，律师) says he’ll appeal the conviction.
- attorney general: 司法部长，首席检察官
- Popular newspapers are known as tabloids (小报，文摘).
- There will be an uphill (上坡的，向上的) incline eventually.
- A nudge (推动，用肘轻推) is a small push, to encourage us to do something.
- The winners stand on the podium (领奖台，乐队指挥台).
- Bureau of Consular (领事的) Affairs: 领事事务局
- Policy wonks (a person who takes an enthusiastic or excessive interest in the specialized details of a particular subject or field, especially political policy.) have long dreamed of simplifying America’s tax code.
- wonk: a studious (用工的，专心的) or hard-working person
- This is accomplished by JLL packages (a pun (双关语，俏皮话) on “Dynamic-Link Library”, with the J standing for Julia).
- The anatomy (解剖；解剖学；解剖结构) of a bird is much simpler than that of an elephant.
- anatomy of a JLL package
- I binge (放纵，狂欢作乐) watch television shows sometimes…always!
- A black banner hung over the doorway of the hall, with white characters “deeply mourn (哀悼，悼念) for martyrs (烈士) and compatriots (同胞) who died in COVID-19 outbreak.” source
- The umbra (本影), penumbra (半影) and antumbra (伪本影) are three distinct parts of shadow, created by any light source after impinging on an opaque object. wiki
- petit (小的，次要的) four: 【法】小蛋糕
- What’s the difference between a gamete (配子，生殖细胞) and a zygote (受精卵)?
- leukocyte: 白细胞
- Cheap and rapid antigen (抗原) testing can identify and prevent every cluster of COVID-19.
- codominant gene: 等显性基因
- Aleppo (阿勒颇) is the commercial hub (中心) of Syria (叙利亚), symbolically unparalleled (无与伦比的象征意义).
- The book describes how they used copper (铜) to sterilize (消毒) wounds (伤口) and drinking water.
- Alas, like many good stories this one appears to be apocryphal (真实性可疑的，伪造的，杜撰的).
- Binomial nomenclature (命名法) gives every species a unique and stable two-word name, agreed upon by biologists worldwide.
- As people get older, many of them develop the disease osteoporosis (骨质疏松症).
- This study sheds light on (阐明) improving treatment effect estimation efficiency by implementing machine learning methods in covariate-adaptive randomized experiments.
- They want to minimize their staff turnover (员工流动率).
- The textile export turnover (营业额) has been increased 67% this year in China.
- He was found guilty of culpable homicide (刑事杀人，应受惩罚的杀人罪) for the shooting of his girlfriend.
- Stated-owned enterprises (SOE)：国有企业
- corporate (社团的，法人的) misconduct (不当行为)
- innocent (无罪的，无辜的) until proven guilty.
- The fact that NNLS, apart from sign constraints, only consists of a fitting term, fosters (养育，抚育；培养) the intuition that NNLS is prone to overfitting.
- Their niceness can be so unsettling (使人不安的) you might even try a trick or two.
- The heart is a highly contractile (有收缩性的) organ.
- A veneer (虚假的外表，虚饰) of jaunty (快活的，活泼的) self-confidence thinly concealed (隐藏，隐瞒) his nervousness.
- When people are forgotten, the world becomes fractured (断裂的，分化的).
- postmenopausal women: 绝经后妇女
- Nota bene (注意) is a Latin phrase. Often abbreviated as NB, n.b., the phrase is Latin for “note well”. In modern English, it is used, particularly in legal papers, to draw the attention of the reader to a certain (side) aspect or detail of the subject being addressed.
- If your laser is mounted on a car on a bumpy (崎岖不平的，颠簸的) road, or tracking some object in the sky, or your data comes from acoustic waves (声波) traveling through earth, you are bound to (必然，必定) get noise.
- turquoise (青绿色); magenta (品红，洋红)
- She is the curator (馆长；监护人；管理者) of the museum.
- a bundle of curated (仔细挑选的；精选的) packages from different categories
- They were following the normal protocol (协议，协定) of the cancer genome consortium (联盟).
- communication protocol: 通信协议
- Land severely depleted (耗尽) by urbanization, population growth, intensive agriculture and climate change.
- Two putative (一般认定的，推定的) human sex pheromones turn out not to be.
- chronic disease: 慢性病
- Shame can be crippling (严重损害身体的) and debilitating (使衰弱，使虚弱).
- postmortem examination: 尸检；尸体剖检
- Every farm needs cats because otherwise, they can overrun (超过，泛滥) by rodents (啮齿类动物).
- The buyers can then use a website to tinker (粗修，修补) with the designs further to create exactly the look they want.
- The use of pretentious (狂妄的，自命不凡的，自负的) phrases and complex acronyms is generally designed to obfuscate rather than elucidate (阐明，解释).
- Psychiatry is the branch of medicine concerned with the bio-psycho-social study of the etiology (病因学；病原学), diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cognitive, perceptual, emotional and behaviorical disorders.
- The scientists were eager to unravel (解开；阐明) the cause of death.
- If she had had a little more self-control she would have attenuated (使减弱；使稀薄) the emotion to nothing by sheer (充分的，完全的) reasoning, and so have killed it off.
- I intend to amortize (分期偿还) the total cost of the car over three years.
- Their feet are wide and splay (张开) outwards to stop them sinking in loose sand.
- Success always seems as inevitable in retrospect as it is elusive (难以捉摸的，不易记住的) when sought.
- As a PhD student, how do you make sure your research had not already been done before, rendering (cause to become) it obsolete (过时的，废弃的，老式的)?
- If you do not know if you are starting off in a good region, assessing convergence is fraught with (充满…的) epistemological (认识论的) problems.
- The assessment derived from those techniques is partly subjective and clearly not foolproof (万无一失的，肯定成功的).
- There was a flurry (一阵忙乱（或激动、兴奋等）；小阵雪（或雨等) of papers at the end of 1990s concerned with the development of convergence diagnoses.
- An ergodic Markov chain that starts from one mode of f can be correctly deemed (认为，视作，相信) to be in its stationary regime, but it may still require many iterations to reach the other modes of this distribution, another occurrence of the “missing mass” problem.
- It’s a replica (复制品) of a classical work originally made perhaps around 300 BC.
- He asked his bean-counter (<俚>统计专家) to crunch (嚼，咬碎) the numbers.
- crunch time: 关键时刻，关键时间
- credit crunch: 信贷紧缩，信贷危机（等于 credit crisis)
- A Bayesian analysis concludes beyond a reasonable doubt that SARS-CoV-2 is not a natural zoonosis (动物传染病) but instead is laboratory derived.
- What’s new here is they duped (欺骗，愚弄) Americans into helping them seem more credible.
- super-duper: 超级大骗子
- drug trafficking: 毒品走私
- drug trafficker: 毒品贩子
- The bazaar (集市；市场；义卖市场) had taken place Monday night and today was only Thursday.
- Cathedrals (总教堂，大教堂) were much more urban in their loation.
- These feelings are normal, and you’ll never truly banish (驱逐，消除) them.
- Rising global temperatures could shift the balance between males and females in crocodile (鳄鱼) and alligator (短吻鳄) populations, potentially leading to a sharp decline in the reptiles (爬行动物)‘ reproduction rates……
- Do people cheat by rigging (操纵) the prior?
- The flashy (炫耀技艺的) crooks (骗子) get the headlines, but the bigger problem in everyday routine bad science done by non-crooks.
- The truth of a theory is contingent on (视……而定，取决于……) both our state of knowledge and the purposes to which it will be put.
- The intrepid (勇敢的，无畏的) explorers reached the South Pole.
- That’s part one of the trilogy (三部曲).
- The trio (三人一组，三件一套) has denied the charges.
- abstemious (适中的，【尤指在吃饭、饮酒方面】有节制的) habit
- the name-calling tone of this tribune, as illustrated by the above quotes, is appalling (令人震惊的，骇人听闻的) and populist (平民主义，民粹主义), more in the spirit of Trump than of a rational search for scientific evidence.
- Out of the welter (混合) of rapture (狂喜) and anger and heartbreak and hurt pride (屈辱) that he had left, depression emerged to sit upon her shoulder like a carrion (腐肉的，吃腐肉的) crow (乌鸦).
- Encryption jumbles (搞乱，使混乱) words into random numbers, letters, characters.
- Traffic is hectic (繁忙的，忙乱的) every day.
- atrocious (恶劣的，糟透的) weather
- I did not know whether it were not a proper opportunity to offer a bit of admonition (告诫，忠告).
- A Journal of the Plague Year (瘟疫年纪事) is a book by Daniel Defoe (丹尼尔·笛福).
- Just disclaimer (免责声明；否定申明), he’s not sponsored by Adidas.
- The PhD is a very specific kind of experience that deserves a large disclaimer (放弃，拒绝).
- cram (塞满，填入) them into a single talk.
- We will arrange the payment of the lump-sum (总额，一次总付的钱款) award of $1000.
- It illustrates a problem with political punditry (权威的意见): There’s a demand for predictions, and there’s no shortage of outlets promising a “crystal ball (【占卜用的】水晶球；预言未来的方法)” or some other short of certainty.
- It is full of prominent, successful, well-connected bluffers (骗子，虚张声势的人).
- The results should be made public before the rule is enacted (制定【法律】，通过【法案】).
- Scientific rigor and social conscience (良心) do not always go together.
- Barring (不包括，除非) that, I have no other option.
- A pantheon (万神殿；名流群) of super intelligent beings will watch over us.
- That particular study was riddled (充满着) with flaws.
- Riddle (谜语，谜一般的人) of Sphinx: 斯芬克斯之谜
- they are written in newspeak (一种指东说西、模棱两可的官腔) with enough acronyms (首字母缩略词) to incapacitate (使无能力、使不适合) a brand new typewriter.
- The lecturer droned (talk in a monotonous (无变化的，单调乏味的) voice) on for hours.
- drone: n. 无人机，雄峰
- sassy (<贬>粗鲁的，无礼的；<褒>时髦的，漂亮的) girl: 野蛮女友
- trolley problem: 有轨电车难题，电车问题
- Mary is very adept (熟练的，擅长的) at playing pianos.
- 想想英语里某些词汇：“gristly (软骨状的；软韧), slithery (滑溜溜的), slimy (黏糊糊的；粘腻), squelchy (耐嚼), crunchy (爽脆), gloopy (胶着)”……而这些恰恰是中国美食中最受欢迎的口感【鱼翅与花椒】
- We’ll have accountability and we will strive for bipartisanship (两党合作) with fairness on all sides.
- fugitive (无常的，逃亡的，易变的) and cloistered (隐居的，躲开尘世纷争的) virtues
- This monstrosity (庞然大物，怪物，巨兽) has truck tires (卡车轮胎) for buttons and 9 meter-long pine (松树) trees for arms!
- This issue is monumentally (非常地，纪念地，作为纪念碑地) important RIGHT NOW.
- Let’s also not forget the benefit of the occasional dumb (愚蠢的) but fun example.
- There are still hurdles (障碍) to surmount (克服).
- At a recent Harvard colloquium (研讨会，学术报告会), a bigwig (权威人士) from one of the large consultancies told his audience of star professors that the only person he valued at the school was the admissions officer.
- The Lancet study has already been consequential (随之而来的).
- someone who’s basically a good person but has some larceny (盗窃) and lust (欲望) in his heart and cannot be relied on to do the right thing.
- a cadre of new friends
- leading cadre: 领导干部，首长
- I need that trail of breadcrumbs (面包屑) connecting data.
- The premise of the emerging field of computational psychiatry (精神病学，精神病治疗) is to use models from computational cognitive neuroscience to gain deeper insights into mental illness.
- The US will likely go down as the country that was supposedly best prepared to fight a pandemic but ended up catastrophically (灾难性地) overmatched (打败) by the novel coronavirus, sustaining heavier casualties than any other nation.
- I’m afraid it is too narrow-minded to judge people using astrology (占星术). It’s all stereotypes!
- The land sale was merely a temporary expedient (暂时的权宜之计) for dealing with a immediate need.
- It will be more expedient (得当，可取，合宜) to use railways with trains on magnetic cushions (垫子) for cargo-transportation.
- Astronomical (天文学的，及其巨大的) sums of money will be needed for this river tunnel plan.
- there are not few but hyperastronomically (超天文的) many genotypes with a given metabolic phenotype
- art nouveau (新近到达的，新近产生的): 新艺术，新艺术派
- nouveau: 自由及开放源代码显卡驱动程序。
- We covered over 300 villages by distributing 30000 pamphlets (小册子).
- The site upended (颠倒) communication as we know it.
- risk aversion: 风险规避，厌恶风险
- He did that out of mercenary (唯利是图的) motives.
- mercenary marriage: 买卖婚姻；着眼实利的婚姻
- To rectify that failing on my part.
- way to be a grammar guru (大师，专家).
- The farmer is shearing (剪) his sheep.
- No comma is used between the month and the year when they are the only two elements in the date. source
- The store closed its doors for good in October 1958.
The store closed its doors for good in October, 1958.
- it is constantly generating electrons that could neutralize free radicals (自由基), acting as antioxidants (抗氧化剂).
- oxidant: 氧化剂
- a peculiar (奇怪的，异常的，特有的) choice of null hypothesis on subsamples
- The heir apparent (法定继承人) succeeded to the throne.
- He is the legitimate heir (继承人) to the property.
- By various recondite (深奥的，晦涩的) processes, he converted the urine (尿) first into a noxious paste and then into translucent (半透明) waxy substance. None of it yielded gold, of course, but a strange and interesting thing did happen. After a time, the substance began to glow.
- The slogan has been revived recently in social media.
- As a result, the up-front (预付的，先期的) cost for education is real, large and easy to measure.
- deputy director: 副局长，副厅长，副院长
- Given that the purpose of this lawsuit is to subvert (推翻，颠覆，破坏) the express will of the voters, I am glad they hired such an incompetent consultant, but I feel bad for the residents of Texas that they had to pay for it.
- It’s turtles for quite a way down, but at some point it’s solid bedrock (根底，基岩).
- turtles all the way down: 一位著名的科学家（据说是贝特兰·罗素）曾经作过一次天文学讲演。他描述了地球如何围绕着太阳公转，而太阳又是如何围绕着称之为我们星系的巨大的恒星集团的中心公转。演讲结束之际，坐在房间后排的一位小个老妇人起立说道：“你讲的是一派胡言。实际上，世界是驮在一只巨大乌龟背上的平板。”这位科学家露出高傲的微笑，然后答道：“那么这只乌龟是站在什么上面的呢？”“你很聪明，年轻人，的确很聪明，”老妇人说，“不过，这是一只驮着一只，一直驮下去的乌龟塔啊！”【时间简史】
- By its very name, anthropology (人类学) encompasses the study of all humankind.
- The anthropic principle (人择原理) in physics states that we can derive certain properties of the world, or even the universe, based on the knowledge of our existence. wiki
- gross domestic (本国的，国内的) product
- Columbia University in New York, the president’s alma mater (母校), is preparing a bid.
- Data from infectious disease outbreaks in congregate (adj. 集合在一起的; v. 聚集) settings are often used to elicit (引出) clues about which types of interventions may be useful in other facilities.
- some patients with hypertriglyceridemia (高甘油三酯血症) were placed on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate (碳水化合物；糖类) diet.
- triglyceride: 甘油三酸酯
- hyperglycemia: 多糖症，高血糖症
- A study of patients with insulin (胰岛素)-dependent diabetes was conducted to investigate the effects of cigarette smoking on renal (肾脏的) and retinal (视网膜的) complications (并发症).
- In a study investigating maternal (母亲的，母系的，母体遗传的) risk factors for congenital (先天的，天生的) syphilis (梅毒).
- maternity leave: 产假
- The estimated coefficients from a logistic regression model containing the explanatory variables cocaine or crack (可卡因) use， marital status, number of prenatal (产前的) visits to a doctor.
- the AIDS patients suffering from concomitant (伴随的) esophageal (食道的，食管的) candidiasis (念珠菌病), an infection due to candida (念珠菌) yeast, and cytomegalovirus (巨细胞病毒), a herpes (疱疹) infection that can cause serious illness.
- Maybe something like the elasticities (弹性) that economists use?
- I am humbled by the response we have received during the Black Friday sale.
- The staggering (难以置信的，令人震惊的) problems of poverty remain unsolved.
- It was possible to identify specific customers in the competition data set (suggesting even political and religious affiliations could be determined), even though Netflix had performed a form of cursory (粗略的，草率的) anonymization.
- We take our lumps (suffer punishment; be attacked or defeated.), and we try to do better next time.
- The big top-line (头条新闻的，质量最好的，级别最高的) takeaway is what already know.
- I felt great and confident. That is a stunning (极好的) blouse (宽松的上衣，女装衬衫).
- The “gig economy (零工经济)” exemplified by Uber drivers is mushrooming.
- The issues that Gandhi was known for (de-colonization (非殖民地化，殖民地自治化), passive resistance) remain immensely (非常，极大地) relevant but with very different parameters than the 1920’s-1940’s.
- looking under the lamp-post
- the mud was up to her chin: 泥巴已经没到了她的下巴。
- There are a number of bells and whistles (附加的修饰物) that make autoencoders more effective.
- They quarreled last week but now they are completely reconciled.
- racial disparity in mortgage lending (抵押贷款)
- the praise is a bit over the top
- brimming with wit and pathos (悲伤，痛苦)
- the enormous debut (初次登台，处女秀) is a wonder (奇迹，惊奇)
- an astounding feat of craftsmanship and patience
- never has an artist created a world so vivid without a single word spoken
- The earliest scratchy recording of a pope (教皇，罗马教皇) was that of Leo XIII on a wax cylinder (蜡筒唱片).
- Georgiou is not a mobster (匪徒，暴徒). He’s not a hit man (职业凶手) or a spy (间谍，密探). He’s a statistician. And the sin (过失，罪恶) at the heart of his supposed crimes was publishing correct budget numbers.
- The government has brought a relentless (不停的，持续强烈的) series of criminal prosecutions (诉讼) against him. His countryman have sought their own vengeance (复仇，报复) by hacking his emails, dragging him into court, even threatening his life.
- This means the person who restored the credibility of Greek statistics will have to apologize to a person who had been fudging (搪塞，篡改) the data.
- We distinguish the corpora containing reference annotations based on their origin.
- Gold-standard corpus containing human-made reference annotations, obtained as a consensual or majority opinion of several human experts.
- A frame definition domain was virtually eroded in the lateral axes (x and y) by a constant number of pixels (voxels (体素或立体像素，是体积像素 volume pixel 的简称)) E depending on a dataset.
- In 3D image data, the marker does not have to be necessarily formed of a single connected component, allowing annotators to create quintessential (最完美的，精髓的) volumetric markers.
- Things done by halves are never done right.
- The process of extracting the object from the original image is often called matting (抠图), while the process of inserting it into another image is called compositing.
- customers may be unable or unwilling to accept our model of commercial software procurement (采购，获得，取得).
- it’s not a slam (抨击) on this graph to say that it makes me want to learn more.
- Man has been predominant over other species for a long time.
- A specific job hunt will be more efficient than a haphazard (偶然的，随意的) one.
- The British Chamber (【身体或器官内的】室、膛；房间；会所) of Commerce (商会) in Hong Kong is inviting applications for its Events & Marketing Executive.
- An assessment centre (求职评估) is a recruitment process with a series of tasks including presentation, group exercise, psychometric tests (心理计量测验), etc, to evaluate candidates’ ability and personality.
- Amid COVID-19, we are going through a very difficult and uncertain situation.
- Your changes will be vetted (审查，诊疗) by developers before becoming permanent.
- Standard Chartered (渣打银行) Bank China is inviting registration for its Networking Session.
- chartered: （根据持有皇家特许状的专业协会的规章）合格的；特许的
- UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, 旧称联合国国际儿童紧急救援基金会，现称联合国儿童基金会，The United Nations Children’s Fund) chartered (包租) a flight to deliver vaccines to seven African countries.
- Ado (无谓的忙乱，费力) usually refers to fuss (小题大做，忙乱), concern, or time wasted due to trivialities or troubles. It is most often found in the phrases “without much ado”, meaning “without much fuss”, or “without further ado”, meaning “without further delay”. Adieu (告别，辞行) on the other hand, is a French word that refers to a farewell. It often follows bid, as in “I bid you adieu”, as a rather dramatic way of saying “goodbye”. reference
- Everyone seems fixated (adj. 念念不忘的；v. 注视，固定下来) on the 90% effectiveness lower bound reported for the Pfizer vaccine.
- I’m basing it off of a press release, which is not ideal for scientific precision.
- It won’t be the silver bullet we are looking for.
- I’m ecstatic (狂喜的，入迷的) about this product.
- Haven’t they ever read Mandelbrot (本华·曼德博，创立了分形几何)?
- Those wacky anti-Bayesian used to be intimidating (吓人的，令人胆怯的), but now they’re just pathetic (可怜的，悲哀的).
- I was trying to draw Bert and Ernie the other day (不久前某一天，几天以前).
- I call this the Chris Rock (美国喜剧演员，以栋笃笑【单口喜剧，stand-up comedy】出道) effect. Chris Rock says things we all know are true. But he says it so well that we get a shock of recognition, the joy of relearning what we already know, but hearing it in a new way that makes us think more deeply about all sorts of related topics.
- Would the prof have the chutzpah (无所顾忌，敢作敢为，肆无忌惮) to fail the student, or would he just give the student an A out of fear that the student would raise a ruckus (喧闹，骚动，争吵) if anything were done about it?
- They might just get expelled anyway for the combined violations of plagiarism and embarrassing the university.
- For his own sanity (理智) he had to get out of this trap.
- It has all the usual culprits (犯人，罪犯): forking paths, statistical significance.
- The market often is up for part of the day and down for others, so the intra-day variability may undermine (从根基处破坏；挖…的墙角；逐渐削弱【信心，权威等】) what the paper is finding.
- the data is not provided, although the source is publicly available (and would probably take me a week to try to match up to what they purported (据称的，传言的) to use).
- These claims are absolutely preposterous (荒唐的，极不合理的).
- Imagine a person traversing a finite curved path while walking their dog on a leash (系狗的皮带), with the dog traversing a separate finite curved path.
- trapezoidal: 梯形的
- This is the seed of a snowflake, and it retains a hexagonal (六角形的) shape as it grows.
- Medically speaking, diabetes is not curable. Once a person is diagnosed with diabetes, he or she will carry diabetes for the rest of life. Only under successful management, diabetes can go into “remission” state.
- influenza is more of an acute condition that patient can recover from in a short period of time.
- ICD-9-CM has refined coding granularity (间隔尺寸，粒度) to classify and group diseases and medical conditions.
- These savvy (有见识的；懂实际知识的；通情达理的) speakers have some tips for novice speakers.
- An interesting question in pediatrics (儿科) is whether the tendency for children to have many episodes of otitis media (中耳炎【耳内长期流水、流脓、胀痛】) is inherited in a family.
- all would be OK if people just ditched (开沟；掘沟；【俚】丢弃) their p-values and replaced them with intervals.
- it seemed kinda tacky (低劣的，蹩脚的，俗气的，乏味的) for a reporter whose shtick (特长，擅长的本领) was access to the powerful, to not want his own speech to be reported.
- They have inscribed (题写，铭记，雕刻) their names upon the pages of history.
- inscribed circle: 内切圆
- fractal (（经典几何学中没有表示的）不规则碎片形) landscape
- The “incised (切入的，雕刻的，有锯齿状边缘的) plane” scene consists of two planes with Gaussian noise and grooves (凹槽) in the shape of an “X”.
- His incisive criticism gave us a thorough understanding of Dicken’s writings.
- Any idiot (傻子，笨蛋) can write a critique (批评，评论).
- It can take a lot of work to untangle (清理，解开…纠结) exactly what went wrong.
- Original researchers do all the hard work, and “open science” critics are lazy parasites (食客，寄生虫).
- People often repress (抑制，约束) painful experience, which years later may later reappear as memories or disguised (假装，掩饰) emotions.
- Both of these extensions confer improved convergence properties on the basic algorithm without a significant increase in computational cost.
- confer sth. on/upon sb.: 授予，颁发（奖项、学位、荣誉或权利）
- confer with sb. on/about sth.: 商讨，协商，交换意见
- The extensions to multiple-view reconstructions necessitated the introduction of nonlinear optimization strategies.
- Thus it is that firmness and strength are the concomitants of death; softness and weakness, the concomitants of life.
- It should be possible for a class to inherit from as many others as necessary, with an adequate mechanism for disambiguating name clashes.
- No comparison frameworks are available, leading to an arduous selection of an appropriate variant for particular experimental conditions.
- Laser-range sensors were a cornerstone to the development of mapping and navigation in the past two decades.
- planar open curves
- aerial imagery: aerial photography, 航拍
- Skim the text to grasp its main idea.
- it has some deeply wacky (乖僻的，古怪的) scenarios
- voter turnout
- the betting markets have Trump as a slight favorite in Florida, which I’d attribute to bettors performing some sort of implicit averaging of current polls and the 2016 election results.
- there is some room for maneuver here.
- the Republican party controls the federal government and many state legislatures.
- Picking pennies in front of a steamroller: A parable (比喻，寓言) comes to life.
- I stopped by the Jamaican beef patties place but they were closed.
- Has Stan jumped the shark?
- A bracket or tournament (锦标赛) bracket is a tree diagram that represents the series of games played during a knockout (淘汰赛的) tournament.
- Politics has taken on particular vitriol (尖刻的话) in recent years.
- Commentators and political scientists have described the rising tide of polarization in terms of concepts such as tribalism (部落制) and negative partisanship (党派性，党派偏见).
- An idealistic picture of science views science as an orderly process where disinterested, objective experts look at crystal clear (完全透明的，【喻】极其明白，十分清楚) evidence to find the truth.
- crystal: 水晶，晶体；水晶的，透明的
- Fake facts in Covid-19 Science: Kentucky (肯塔基州) vs. Tennessee (田纳西州)
- A psychology professor whom I’ve never met once wrote me a mini-manifesto (宣言), disparaging my efforts as a critic.
- Bumblers (做错事的人) are the people who get up every morning and make mistakes, trying to find truth but mainly tripping over their own feet, occasionally getting it right but typically getting it wrong.
- I think this dualism is counterproductive (适得其反的).
- but it would be more evocative (引起…记忆的，唤起…感情的) to show a series of images showing graying hair.
- Nobel prize and other science prices are problematic and this is not endorsement (认可；支持；背书；签注) of such prices, but this might be useful for someone who needs to tell (hype (炒作，大肆宣传)) about the impact of Stan.
- A spaghetti (意大利式细面条) plot is a line plot with many lines displayed together. see also
- Maine (缅因州) and Nebraska (内布拉斯加州)
- our model is a forecast of vote intentions, not of votes as counted.
- Now that it’s 95%, the rubber meets the road.
- It came in as a sort of brief interlude and solo between more extensive performances.
- It’s not a Jenga, but neither is it a WW2 jeep.
- this model really needs a lot more scaffolding for us to fully trust it.
- Fractal Nature of Scientific Revolutions.
- The interim (临时的，中间的) Stan governing body stepped down and were replaced with a new board elected by the developer community.
- a feud that was made worse by a lack of sharing code.
- condensed matter (凝聚态) theory
- Here is a fitted model from the Bangladesh (孟加拉国) analysis predicting whether a person with high-arsenic (砷, 砒霜) drinking water will switch wells.
- The rule is brutal.
- You conduct an experiment in which some people get a special get-out-of-vote (动员投票，出门投票) message.
- Humility needed in decision-making.
- I just don’t buy into the premise (前提) so it’s hard for me to go further.
- I hate to buy into stereotypes (墨守成规).
- Talmudic (塔木德，犹太教宗教文献) argument about whether God can dig a ditch (沟渠) so width he can’t jump across it.
- the question sounds snarky, but it’s not meant in that vein.
- we must avoid the trap of overconfidence in our inferential summaries.
- the 40% rule is a time-tried tactic employed by pundits (某一学科的权威，专家) making forecasts.
- There we mention that the birthday data come from the National Vital Statistics natality data.
- I came across this interview of John Conway and Siobhan Roberts, Conway’s biographer.
- I felt that there was a strong sense of competitiveness and ego in the maths world.
- Did you get a sense of a lot of people trying to outdo each other in the field?
- there are occasional examples of it coming to the fore more prominently.
- there were characters I encountered, Stephen Wolfram for one, for whom I think there was a bit of an unacknowledged competitive tension with John.
- The idea of competing with them is absurd (荒唐可笑的，不合理的).
- That’s a very egotistical (自负的) statement.
- egotism: 自负
- Conway doesn’t mess around.
- Wolfram may be egotistical, but he has a lot to be egotistical about.
- if anyone can do that astounding (令人震惊的) feat (技艺表演，功绩，壮举), it’s this guy.
- Every once in awhile (偶尔，有时，时不时), though, Wolfram will break down and, with very great reluctance, talk about himself.
- that is somewhat reminiscent (使回忆起，回忆过去的，怀旧的) of time travel.
- I don’t know that I could quite articulate what the rules are, but I can tell what’s going on.
- The moral economy (道德经济，伦理经济) of science.
- I heard a rumor that they have contacts at the Antarctic Polar Station who are going to sign the thing once they can get their damn fur gloves off.
- I’ve obscured the details of the letter here because I don’t want to single out the authors of this particular paper or the editor of this particular journal.
- its results are used to inform federal funding decisions.
- what are the effects of X on election, where X is ballot (投票，选举)-order effects, Fox News, home-state advantage, or other things?
- I agree with my correspondent that this graph does not look like a very good advertisement for this method!
- Never underestimate the power of fomo.
- This particular code is kinda hacky in that it does not account for fencepost errors, but it conveys the general idea.
- The premise of this joke is that if the one economist had truly wanted the car then he would have walked into the showroom and bought it.
- Donating was used to determine whether men or women are better tippers.
- Donating was used to determine which prominent skeptic to prank (恶作剧).
- I was looking at this map of coronavirus cases, pondering the large swaths with seemingly no cases.
- Or, even worse, designing a study, not finding the anticipated main effect, and then using the interactions to bail you out.
- I’m pretty sure the idea has been reinvented a zillion other times before and after I did it.
- Any sufficiently crappy research is indistinguishable from fraud.
- the notorious study in which participants were invited to stick 51 pins into a voodoo doll representing their spouses.
- it was just done by some bigshot professor who calls himself a “myth buster”.
- That voodoo (巫术) study is hilarious (十分有趣的，非常滑稽的), worth a good rant (怒吼；叫喊；大声责骂) or two.
- Kennedy looms large in retrospect but it is not clear that he was considered as a savior when he was running for president.
- There was the radicalism (激进主义) of the post-1974 reform movement, the 1994 Newt Gingrich revolution (纽特·金里奇领导的共和党革命), and then the locked-in partisanship of congressional Republicans since 2010, all of these which can be considered both as responses to executive overreach (过火，过度伸张，做事过头) by opposition presidents and which have motivated counterreactions (逆反应).
- a return to problem solving and dialing down of tension.
- characterize the modern presidents in this way, saviors: Trump, Obama, Clinton, Reagan (里根), Roosevelt (罗斯福)
- Carter (卡特) in retrospect does not have a savior vibe, but he was elected as a transformative outlier.
- I’d assumed that there are more pro Dem pollsters than pro Rep or unbiased pollsters.
- our model judges that to be a fluke
- someone sent me this collage of maps from Nate’s model
- they’re not just some sort of computer glitch
- problem of the between-state correlations in the Fivethirtyeight(中文解释) election forecast.
- this might be a feather in the wind to prevent a predictable post-voting-day wrangle that could tip the country over the edge.
- accusations of fraud seem almost inevitable.
- they can analyze precinct-level totals to look for “thumbprints” of voter fraud.
- it’s not as sure as a photograph of “mislaid” ballots dumped behind a post office.
- I wan intrigued (激起…的好奇心) by the observations you made this summer.
- In order for Trump to win a blue state
- I put them in a pile so that later I can read them in order.
- this article informs us that Trump is invincible.
- this is just a rehash of the major news media.
- it’s your grandpa who’s been reading a bunch of newspapers and watching lots of TV news and then regurgitating it back to you.
- I leave it to you to decide whether this is fodder (饲料，素材) for your blog.
- a plaintiff (原告) should be able to bring a lawsuit (起诉) on the basis of discrimination per se (本身，自身，by itself, in itself)
- the Biber Code dudes (伙计，花花公子)
- I was surprised to find my neighbourhood city of Bourg-la-Reine (皇后堡, 法国法兰西岛大区上塞纳省的一个市镇，位于巴黎市区南部，属于安东尼区。) (twin city, Kenilworth (凯尼尔沃思, 英格兰沃里克郡的一个集镇和民政教区)) mentioned in a tribune (论坛报).
- a boardgame (版图游戏) called Kapital which is presented there as a form of anti-Monopoly, authors who were both CNRS (Centre national de la recherche scientifique, 法国国家科学研究中心) researchers in sociology until they retired.
- the opposition between the May 68 (五月风暴，也称五月运动、五月革命和五月事件，是1968年春夏之交法国发生的学生运动。) style class warfare (战争，冲突) denounced (谴责，告发) by the authors and their apparently well-off (富裕的，处境好的) conditions.
- consensus-based transparency checklist
- I also have a wary feeling that is harder to put words to
- will the satisfactory feeling of successfully completing the checklist lull (哄骗；使平静) researchers into complacency and keep them from spending effort on the deeper layers?
- I worry the checklist is going to inadvertently (漫不经心地；非故意地) be taken as a false check of quality, rather than simply transparency.
- We should always consider the lurking dangers of offering easy solutions and simple checklists that make humans feel that they’ve done all that is needed.
- transparency should reduce existing incentives for performing bad science and increase incentives for better measurement and design of studies.
- both of contagious individuals and viral load sufficient to related to death.
- statistical cult
- noncommittal response
- Vocal characteristics predict infidelity intention and relationship commitment in men but not in women.
- The story was featured in various classy news outlets.
- some wiseass replies to all
- we’re reliving the 1990’s here…
- The X-ray emission comes from the hot gas surrounding and accreting onto the merging black holes.
- During the merger, some of the X-ray emission is expected to be modulated at a frequency commensurate to that of the gravitational waves produced by the black holes.
- after the merger, it is possible that a corona of hot, X-ray emitting gas will form and jets of particles may be launched at speeds close to the speed of light.
- They are acutely (极其，强烈地) attuned (习惯，适应) to the grave (严重的) dangers associated with an economy grinding to a halt (慢慢停下来，无法继续前进). see also
- acutely aware: 深切地意识到
- daily grind: 日常（苦）工作
- racial profiling
- Blacks are more likely to be stopped for pretextual (pretext, 借口，推辞) reasons (e.g. alleged (所谓的，声称的) vehicle defect (缺点，缺陷，不足之处), such as broken tailight; record check) and less for more concrete reasons such as speeding.
- these have been valorized in constitutional caselaw
- there are other disparities by race that are notable and (most likely) significant.
- I bought the book and, flipping through it to find examples for use in class, came cross the two sketches
- the frequency of driving accidents is plotted against the time of menstruation
- one for parous women, and one for nonparous women
- premenopausal female 绝经前女性
- the left hump representing accidents that had occurred just before the menstrual period
- he then could have hastily summarized the data in a sketch
- it was just sloppiness.
- This article on bus ridership is right up your alley (well suited to one’s tastes, interests, or abilities).
- I grant (【勉强】承认，同意) you that..
- the ensuing discussion in the article speculated about explanations for a decline in the individual propensity to ride.
- suburbanite: 郊区居民
- they screwed up on the above graph
- it has to swerve in and out of traffic after each bus stop.
- does this fallacy have a name?
- Collider bias
- in an outraged Louisville
- when considering ideological balance, it is useful to place social psychology within a larger context of the prevailing ideologies of other influential groups within society, such as military officers, journalists, and business executives.
- the content of unreplicated or otherwise shaky empirical claims
- sway in the way
- their attitude is something like 50% careerism and 50% that they feel already know the answers about primatology (灵长类动物学) or criminology (犯罪学)
- these people see the entire a scientific process, pretty much the whole megillah (冗长描述) as a bunch of red tape (繁文缛节), just a bunch of hoops they need to jump through so they can move on with their day and get their 8 hours of sleep every night
- they don’t get the connection between the fun parts and the hard work and inevitable setbacks (挫折)
- they think that correcting or retracting an article or having your public errors pointed out to you is a form of punishment.
- misinformation about the event abounds
- the findings suggest that the five articles were likely fraudulent, several coauthors acted with negligence bordering on complicity (合谋，串通) after learning about the data irregularities.
- beyond our interest in the sordid details here, our horror at what …, and our understanding and policymaking in the important field of criminology is being driven by fake data and fake analysis.
- flat out (竭尽全力，用全速) fabrication
- dodge (躲闪) criticism
- let’s start with the leadoff to Pickett’s article
- academic bureaucrats and game-players taking a technical dispute
- attacks and name-calling against dissenters
- retreat into procedure
- if someone at one of these universities had been caught robbing at a bank, would his colleagues have all backed him up like that?
- this kind of cavalier attitude to what is pretty much the purest sort of scientific fraud makes it clear how little the scientific process is valued.
- this kind of sounds like a conspiracy theory (阴谋论)
- all participants in cargo-cult (货物崇拜) social science——from the fabricators to the powermongers to the enablers to the just plain incompetents (无能者，不胜任者)
- swatting away people like other data thugs
- old people with comorbidities
- Trump’s probabilities are way (adv. 很远；大量；非常；极其) better.
- I’m kicking myself because I was planning to tell the hookah story
- there is some evidence that the dose you get of carcinogens from hookah smoking might be 20 times the dose of smoking a cigarette.
- if you’re willing to accept anecdotal (轶事的，趣闻的) evidence, there’s always going to be an unlimited amount of evidence which won’t tell you anything.
- according to the National Academy of Sciences, (google “himmicanes” for lots more), it saves lives to give hurricanes the names of boys rather than girls, because people are more scared of boys so they’ll act with appropriate caution.
- Hurricane Butch? Run away. Hurricane Missy? Who cares.
- according to Pythagoras (really!), 17 is “the most despised and horrible (可怕的，极讨厌的) of all numbers.”
- Time is of the essence. (时间就是生命)
- the people of Italy experienced a strange kind of mass hysteria known as “53 fever”
- Italy cities: Bari (巴里，东南部海港), Naples (那不勒斯，西南部港市), Venice (威尼斯，港市)
- the number 53 simply stopped coming up on the Venice wheel – leading punters to place increasingly big bets on the number in the certainty that it must soon make a reappearance.
- their financial ruin, the pain of which resulted in a spate of suicides
- the victims had been led astray by a reasoning flaw called the “gambler’s fallacy” – a worryingly common error that can derail many of our professional decisions, from a goalkeeper‘s responses to penalty shootouts in football to stock investments and even judicial rulings on new asylum cases
- the team analysed umpires‘ decisions in Major League Baseball games.
- Jellyfish is the common name for the free-swimming form of gelatinous animals
- farmed in aquaculture systems
- thousands of swimmers are stung with varying degrees of severity every year.
- jellyfish can form swarms which are also known as jellyfish blooms, which can damage fishing apparatus or clog the cooling systems of power stations.
- ocean eutrophication
Andrew @ 20200723¶
- Malthusian (马尔萨斯的，马尔萨斯人口论的) catastrophe
- Fertility was procyclical but declined and delayed with long-run growth.
Brené Brown·TEDxHouston： The power of vulnerability¶
- little flyer
- magic pixie
- I tried to call deep on my courage.
- data with a soul
- expanding perception (认识，观念，看法)
- he was just sweet-talking me.
- put it into a bento box
- lean into the discomfort of the work
- that was my mantra
- lay the code out for everyone to see
- it is neurobiologically that’s how we’re wired.
- most excruciating (极为疼痛的) experiences of being excluded.
- unraveled connection
- human empathy
- The thing that underpinned this
- I am not promoted enough.
- outsmart it.
- turn out well: 成功
- it boils down to
- office supply addiction, so I had a manila folder, and I had a Sharpie (美国三福记号笔)
- I always go into this Jackson Pollock crazy thing.
- separate courage and bravery
- courage is from the Latin word “cor”, meaning “heart”
- had the compassion to be kind to themselves first
- as a result of authenticity
- the willingness to breathe through waiting for the doctor to call after your mammogram.
- it was betrayal
- I had pledged allegiance to research.
- my therapist calls it a spiritual awakening
- this is going to suck
- they surrender and walk into it.
- It was a slugfest
- we numb vulnerability
- initiating sex with my wife
- being turned down
- getting laid off
- banana nut muffin
- a way to discharge pain and discomfort
- take fat from out butts and put it in our cheeks
- They’re hardwired for struggle. You’re wired for struggle.
- it’s a bailout (紧急救助)
- oil spill: 石油泄露
- spill into: 涌进
- spill out: 溢出
- this is not our first rodeo.
- be authentic and real
- be fierce about
- stop screaming and start listening
Thomas Suarez·TEDxManhattanBeach: A 12-year-old app developer¶
- fortune teller
- a Justin Bieber whack-a-mole
Robert Waldinger·TEDxBeaconStreet: What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness¶
- lean in to work
- hindsight is anything but 20/20.
- sometimes memory is downright creative.
- live in tenements
- schizophrenia (精神分裂症)
- the experience of loneliness turns out to be toxic
- midst of conflict
- octogenarian (八旬老人)
- securely attached relationship
- bicker with
- day in, day out
- this is wisdom that’s as old as the hills
- take a toll on their memories
- fare the best
- livening up a stale relationship
- those all-too-common family feuds take a terrible toll on the people who hold the grudges
Meg Jay·TED2013: Why 30 is not the new 20 (Cont’d)¶
- Identity capital begets identity capital.
- make it count: to make sth have as useful and positive an effect as possible, make something count
- the urban tribe is overrated
- twentysomethings who huddle together with like-minded peers limit who they know, what they know, how they think, how they speak, and where they work
- last but not least
- go/walk down the aisle: to get married
- being as intentional with love as you are with work
- consciously choosing, mindfully choose
- airplanes just leaving LAX, bound for somewhere west. Right after takeoff, a slight change in course is the difference between landing in Alaska or Fiji.
Meg Jay·TED2013: Why 30 is not the new 20¶
- psychotherapy client
- wearing jeans and a big slouchy top
- Twentysomethings like Alex and I had nothing but time.
- sleeping with knucklehead
- benigh neglect
- the brain caps off its second and last growth spurt in your 20s
- an inordinate impact
- extended adolescence
- twixters and kidults
- we have trivialized what is actually the defining decade of adulthood.
- you have robbed that person of his urgency and ambition
- that sounds a little flip
- the post-millennial midlife crisis isn’t buying a red sports car.
- displayed his temper more than his ambition
- she hangs her head in her lap, and she sobbed for most of the hours.
- she was nearly hysterical
- if I get in a car wreck
- Emma’s defining decade went parading by.
Simon Sinek·TEDxPuget Sound: How great leaders inspire action¶
- defy all of the assumptions
- all I did was codify (v. organize into a code or system, such as a body of law) it. reference: “did was + v.” structure
- it has leather seats
- everything we do, we believe in challenging the status quo.
- They’re eminently qualified to make flat-screen TVs.
- It’s all grounded in the tenets of biology.
- Our newest brain, our Homo sapien brain, our neocortex, corresponds with the “what” level.
- our limbic (边缘的) brains are responsible for all of our feelings.
- limbic system: 包含 海马体 (Hippocampus) 及 杏仁体 (Amygdala) 在内，支援多种功能例如情绪、行为及长期记忆的大脑结构。
- rationalize it with the tangible things
- the pursuit of powered man flight was like the dot com of the day.
- the recipe for success
- And lo and behold, look what happened.
- They only reason these people buy touch-tone phone is because you can’t buy rotary phones anymore.
- the system tips
- gut feeling
- rewind live TV
- a great orator
Cameron Russell·TEDxMidAtlantic: Looks aren’t everything. Believe me, I’m a model.¶
- there’s an uncomfortable tension in the room.
- if some of the women were really horrified (震惊的，惊骇的)
- I am quite privileged (有特权的) to be able to transform what you think of me in a very brief 10 seconds.
- Image is powerful, but also, image is superficial.
- fake tan (人工日晒肤色；假冒古铜色；美黑)
- I was scouted (侦察，跟踪，监视，发现).
- I won a genetic lottery, and I am the recipient of a legacy.
- slender figures, and femininity
- there are some fashionistas (疯狂追求时髦与流行的人) who are like
- they don’t put me in charge of that.
- a ninja (日本武士，忍者) cardiothoracic (心胸外科) surgeon (外科医生) poet (诗人)
- saying that you want to be a model when you grow up is akin to saying you want to win the Powerball when you grow up.
- because unlike cardiothoracic surgeons, it can just be distilled right now.
- underwear model
- do they retouch all the photos?
- it’s also the very first time that I had worn a bikini, and I didn’t ever have my period yet.
- Here’s me at a slumber party a few days before I shot French Vogue.
- They are constructions by a group of professionals, by hairstylists and makeup artists and photographers and stylists and all of their assistants and pre-production and post-production.
- were stopped and frisked.
- stop-and-frisk: 拦截盘查；拦截搜身
- you are so happy and fabulous.
- when we are backstage
- I am insecure.
- It was difficult to unpack a legacy of gender and racial oppression when I am one of the biggest beneficiaries.
- If there’s a takeaway to this talk,
Celeste Headlee·TEDxCreativeCoast: 10 ways to have a better conversation¶
- unfriend someone on Facebook
- Henry Higgins in “My Fair Lady”
- anti-vaxxing: shorted version of anti-vaccination
- has the potential to devolve into an argument
- Pew Research
- we are more polarized than we ever have been in history
- plumber: 水管工人
- nod and smile to show that you’re paying attention.
- it’s crap (废话，废物).
- don’t pontificate (自以为是地谈论，目空一切地议论).
- I don’t allow pundits on my show.
- The famed therapist M. Scott Peck said that true listening requires a setting aside of oneself.
- the speaker will become less and less vulnerable and more and more likely to open up the inner recesses of his or her mind to the listener.
- were you terrified?
- he was just bound and determined to say that.
- Err on the side of caution.
- People who brag about their IQs are losers.
- Conversations are not a promotional opportunity.
- stay out of the weeds
- I can bolster my own identity.
- A good conversation is like a miniskirt; short enough to retain interest, but long enough to cover the subject.
- She was the runner-up to Miss America.
- He was the mayor of Sacramento.
- She won a Pulitzer Prize.
Shawn Achor·TEDxBloomington: The happy secret to better work¶
- so we were up on top of our bunk beds (双层床)
- I had put out all of my G.I. Joe soldiers and weaponry (武器，兵器).
- And on the other side were all my sister’s My Little Ponies ready for a cavalry (骑兵，装甲兵) charge (冲击，猛攻).
- on the clumsy (笨拙的，笨重的) side.
- I nervously peered over the side of the bed to see what had be fallen my fallen sister.
- heroically (英勇地；勇敢地；冒险地) pushing her out of the way of an oncoming imaginary sniper (狙击兵) bullet.
- this wail (恸哭，哀号) of pain and suffering and surprise threatening to erupt (爆发，突然发生) from her mouth and wake my parents from the long winter’s nap for which they had settled.
- my frantic (狂乱的，疯狂的) seven year-old brain could think to do to avert (防止，避免) this tragedy.
- I thinks this means you’re a unicorn (独角兽，麒麟).
- contemplate (沉思；注视；深思熟虑) her new-found identity as a unicorn.
- scramble （快速爬行，争夺，争抢） back up to onto the bunk bed
- What we stumbled (绊脚；出错) across at this tender age of just five and seven was was going be at the vanguard (先锋，前驱) of a scientific revolution occurring two decades later in the way that we look at the human brain.
- There is one weird dot above the curve, there’s one weirdo (古怪的人) in the room.
- resiliency in the face of challenge
- we can glean information
- the medical school syndrome
- I have leprosy
- I have no idea how to console poor Bobo because he had just gotten over an entire week of menopause
- military scholarship
- I was an officer to counsel students through the difficult four years.
- on the competition, the workload, the hassles, stresses, complaints.
- adolescent depression, violence and bullying, illicit drugs, risky sex
- not only create ripples of positivity, but a real revolution
- journaling about one positive experience you’ve had over the past 24 hours allows your brain to relive it.
- we find that meditation allows your brain to get over the cultural ADHD that we’ve creating by trying to do multiple tasks at once and allows our brains to focus on the task at hand.
- random acts of kindness are conscious acts of kindness.
- we’ve pushed happiness over the cognitive horizon.
Grady Booch·TED@IBM: Don’t fear superintelligent AI¶
- I was the quintessential nerd
- I grew up in a small town in the dusty plains of north Texas, the son of a sheriff who was the son of a pastor
- That led me to building a laser and a computer and model rockets, and that led me to making rocket fuel in my bedroom.
- Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A space Odyssey” came to the theaters.
- Now, HAL was a sentient computer, designed to guide the Discovery spacecraft from the Earth to Jupiter.
- our fear of being subjugated by some unfeeling, artificial intelligence.
- I believe that such fears are unfounded
- we are building machines of exquisite, beautiful complexity and grace
- but without the homicidal tendencies
- another fascinating idea in the mission profile places humanoid robots on the surface of Mars
- To paraphrase Alan Turing, I am not interested in building a sentient machine.
- Can we build systems that converse with humans in natural language?
- Can we build systems that have an ethical and moral foundation?
- Now, every new technology brings with it some measure of trepidation.
- people lamented that we would see the destruction of the family.
- how to discern a good game from a bad game.
- I will teach it some corpus of law
- what about rogue agents?
- it could represent an existential threat to all of humanity.
- an insatiable (不知足的，贪得无厌的) thirst for information
- only insofar as (在…范围内) HAL commanded all aspects of the Discovery.
- I’ll help you insofar as I can.
- it ain’t gonna happen
- command us capricious, chaotic humans.
- features that rot before they ripen.
- the dog sprints off
- shy away from it
- swinging hard right on the pendulum.
- evade bad data
- op-ed: opposite the editorial page. 一种源于欧美报纸出版业的新闻出版用语，意指一种由外人所撰写、刊登在报纸或杂志上的评述性质文章。
- fear of contracting the virus is rampant
- get people to be more deliberative
- I remain fearful that someone will nuke our city.
- fear can shake us out of complacency.
- cognitive illusion (错觉，幻想)
- the high-end
- Wasn’t there something strange about the extreme disparity in public reactions?
- a style that is so simple and open and guileless that it approaches parody (拙劣的模仿，荒谬的替代物).
- I found that some labeled the book as satire and others took it straight.
- with any parodic elements merely representing Levitt’s recognition of life’s absurdities.
- brash rather than decorous
- the men are viewed through the prism
- Leavitt is a bit more ruthless, willing to let his characters hang in classic British style (e.g., Evelyn Waugh or George Orwell), in contrast to Wolitzer who likes her characters so much that she wants to give them a happy ending.
- disparage (轻视，贬低，批评，非难) a number of journals
- Is it the number of articles that they publish that end up being bogus?
- Linguist and public intellectual Steven Pinker got into trouble recently when it turned out that he’d been offering expert advice to the legal team of now-disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.
- taboo questions raise our blood pressure and threaten moral panic
- I thought A Fish Called Wanda was hilarious in 1988 and I happened to see it again last year, and I found it hilarious the second time as well. Not cringeworthy at all.
- An example is some preliminary data gathered at Stanford on revival of cardiac arrest patients by paramedics.
- For diploid and tetraploid tumors, the flow cytometry method was also able to estimate the percent of tumor cells in a growth stage of their cell cycle, the percent of growth is systematically missing for most aneuploid tumors.
- The knockoff filter operates by manufacturing knockoff variables that are cheap.
- The knockoff filter can be seen as a versatile (多用途的，多功能的) wrapper.
- Traditionally, mpMRI examinations were used to manually delineate the cancerous regions within the prostate.
- Such methods tend to depend highly on radiologists‘ and urologists‘ expertise
- High scorers are juvenile delinquents who then see the error of their ways and reform permanently.
- Ampoule (安瓿瓶，如利多卡因)， vs 西林瓶 (如青霉素)
- Intellectual property (IP) is an umbrella term that covers a group of separate intangible property rights of owners/creators.
- Provide legal protection in various types of monopolies.
- Defining offences (civil or criminal infringement) against intellectual property.
- Plant Varieties (Agricultural or horticultural plant varieties)
- The IP laws protect your interpretation of ideas in the form of a book, an invention, etc.
- Registered designs protect the appearance of your toys. Only the look of your toys is protected, not the ways in which the toys operate. Patent law may protect the way in which a product works.
- The new visible shape, configuration, pattern or ornament applied to an article by an industrial process are features capable of protection by design registration.
- Scientific discoveries as ideas are not protected.
- If a country is a member of international copyright convention, treaty or organization such as the World Trade Organization and others like the Berne Convention, the Universal Copyright Convention, the Geneva Convention for the protection of producers of phonograms, and the agreement on trade-ralated aspects of intellectual property rights, then Hong Kong’s copyright applies and is valid in these countries.
- Hong Kong is a common law jurisdiction (司法权，裁判权).
- Copyright Ordinance
- The goal was to combat copyright piracy (c.f. privacy) activities on computer software in the business sector.
- The criminal provisions in Intellectual Property (Miscellaneous Amendments) Ordinance 2001 caused the public concerns that the amendments might hinder the dissemination of information in the education sector and the society.
- The copyright law is applicable to where the act in question occurs.
- The most important rights of a performer are the right to prevent any person from making a video or sound recording of his performance and the right to prohibit any person exploiting a video or sound recording of his performance.
- civil remedies (民事救济) vs. criminal sanction (刑事处分)
- Under the Copyright Ordinance, the fair dealing for showing or playing a movie will apply only if the purpose is for giving or receiving instruction in a specified course of student provided by an educational establishment. It is not allowed to use these materials outside the scope of fair dealing such as for the purpose of entertainment.
- Vincent van Gogh: 梵高
- I recently was discussing/arguing about the value of charter schools lottery (彩票) studies.
- is admissions of a lack of external validity ameliorated because of stronger internal validity?
- How do practitioners and patients discern the difference?
- It had all been one of his repulsive (令人厌恶的，可憎的) drunken jests (玩笑，笑话).
- I think that the author shouldn’t have done the chapter gimmick (噱头，骗人的玩意), and focused more on the more impactful awards.
- Because of all the uncertain and unknown assumptions that underpin statistical inferences, we should treat inferential statistics as highly unstable local descriptions of relations between assumptions and data, rather than as generalizable inferences about hypotheses or models.
- Acknowledging this uncertainty could help reduce the allure of selective reporting
- That paper is part of a much large literature in economics on Persistence or “Deep Origins” that shows how medieval pogroms prefigure Nazi support, adoption of the plough determines women’s rights etc.
- The impact of history on the present appears indisputable but is, as the extreme Moran statistic for spatial autocorrelation indicates, spurious.
- a battery of questions
- a bunch of data
- My father was a scratch golfer in his heyday (全盛期) on local public courses, but he said he’d never be able to sink a single putt (击球入洞) if the greens were maintained the way they were for PGA tournaments (锦标赛，联赛).
- he was obsessive （着迷，痴迷） about his short game—his own career was ended by knee and rotator cuff surgery—hockey (冰球，曲棍球) wasn’t good to his body, either, despite playing in a “non-contact” league as an adult.
- Are there things like field goals in rugby (橄榄球) or Australian-rules football? I love that the actual name of the sport has “rules” in the title—it’s the kind of pedantry near and dear to this semanticist (语义学者)’s heart.
- It is the kind of semantic nitpicking that has made progressive movements unappealing to many Americans.
- I boycott (联合抵制，拒绝参加) contact sports like football and ice hockey due to their intentionally violent nature.
- I saw too many catchers and umpires (裁判员，仲裁人) rocked by foul tips (触击球) to the face mask this season.
- see a catcher don (穿上) the gear (装备，衣服) again after multiple concussions (冲击，震动).
- Education should be geared (使搭配，使适合) to society’s needs.
- With Thanksgiving around the corner, retailers are gearing up (准备好) for a battle.
- What really riled (激怒) me was when the speaker said
- This seems to me to be a bizarre sort of techno-mysticism.
- The nascent (初期的，开始存在的，发生中的) field of fair machine learning aims to ensure that decisions guided by algorithms are equitable.
- Over the last several years, three formal definitions of fairness have gained prominence
- classification parity, meaning that common measures of predictive performance
- One must carefully define and measure the targets of prediction to avoid retrenching biases in the data.
- A team of researchers inside Pfizer (辉瑞，美国制药公司) made a startling find in 2015: The company’s blockbuster (重磅炸弹，了不起的人或事) rheumatoid (风湿病的，类风湿病的) arthritis (关节炎) therapy Enbrel (恩利，注射用依那西普，Etanercept), a powerful anti-inflammatory (抗炎的) drug, appeared to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 64 percent.
- A synopsis of its statistical findings prepared for outside publication, it says, did not meet its “rigorous scientific standards.”
- Pfizer said it opted against publication of its data because of its doubts about the results.
- One reason for caution: another class of anti-inflammatory therapies, called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), showed no effect against mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s in several clinical trials a decade ago.
- I bet this revelation (启示，被揭露的真相) leads to a slew of off-label prescriptions, just as happened with estrogen (雌性激素) a couple of decades ago. My physician friends told me then that you could not recruit subjects for a clinical trial because doctors were just prescribing estrogen for all menopausal women, to prevent Alzheimer’s.
- political ideology: 政治意识形态
- if you push hard you can find the weak points and magnify them until you get ridiculous inferences.
- but the way probability works is that you can always find some chink in the model and exploit it to result in a clearly bad prediction.
- I think the proclivity of Bayesian inferences to tend toward the ridiculous is just fine
- But Bayesian inference can lead us astray, and we’re better statisticians if we realize that.
- I’m exhausted by the ideology of the Bayes-evangelists.
- Would Republicans pay a price if they vote to impeach the president?
- Nixon loyalists paid the price—not Republicans who voted to impeach.
- So I goggled a bit and asked a colleague in ML about the above.
- It’s great if you’ve got hair to comb, but otherwise it leaves you looking a bit silly.
- Once my sister had the hiccups and my dad snuck up behind her and scared her. The hiccups went away but my sister made my dad promise never to scare her again like that.
- On the medical front, we now have things like nut allergy and autism which nobody ever thought about and now are huge.
- Another tack is to develop alternative conduits (导管，渠道，沟渠) and supplies.
- malignant (【疾病】恶性的；致命的) tumor
- Glioblastomas: 胶质母细胞瘤
- chemotherapy： 化学疗法
- asthma: 哮喘
- roach: 蟑螂
- penicillin: 青霉素，盘尼西林
- Dermatology 皮肤病学
- ointments 软膏
- You will have to throw away 3 months of your work while somehow keeping your mental health intact (完整的，未受损伤的).
- the most conspicuous (显眼的，明显的) trait of the American professoriate (教授会) may be the prose (散文；平凡的，乏味的) style called academese (学术行话，学术体，学术文章的风格):
- echo chamber: 回音室效应，在媒体上是指在一个相对封闭的环境中，一些意见相近的声音不断重复，并以夸张或其他扭曲形式重复，令处于相对封闭环境中的大多数人认为这些扭曲的故事就是事实的全部。
- The researchers who published impact estimates are from a small and close-knit (紧密结合在一起的；志同道合的；意气相投的) community who may be subject to (受…支配，受…影响) group-thinking, peer pressure and self-censoring (自我审查，自我約束, 自律).
- People might suppose the gremlins (小魔怪；小精灵；捣蛋鬼) hubbub (喧哗，骚动) dinged (【informal】hit (someone), especially on the head.) his reputation, but no. 谷歌翻译
- In 2016, when the gremlins paper had been discredited (不足信的，不名誉的), he pivoted and conducted his own exercise, rooted in Tol’s idea but more sophisticated, and with very similar results.
- Random forests are a very popular off-the-shelf (现成的，不用定制的) machine learning model for this setting.
- Faithful friendship, unwavering aspiration (强烈的愿望，志向，抱负), nurture (教养，培育) of the younger, and passion for life……, these are virtues that……
常用成语记忆卡片： 成语－VCE 1+2 年底考试
- ore (矿石，矿) grades: 矿山品味分级
- tiger prawn: 老虎虾
- geoscientists and engineers in the petroleum (石油) and geothermal (地热的，地温的) industries
- cardiovascular: 心血管的
- hyperinsulinemia: 血胰岛素增多
- ischemic： 局部贫血
- The most extreme, most sobering (令人警醒的，使人冷静的), and zaniest (zany. 古怪的，滑稽可笑的 strange or unusual in an amazing way) facts that The Atlantic‘s science, technology, and health reporters learned this year.
- gerrymandering (为本党利益改划选区，不公正操纵，欺骗) only rearranges district lines and cannot manufacture more votes for a party.
- compare the number of contagions (传染，接触传染) and deaths by country and date.
- geodetic survey: 大地测量，测地学测量
- what are some funny, nice, intelligent and mind-boggling (难以理解的，难以置信的) tricky math questions to ask?
- instrument: verb. such as, “they instrument military aid”
- come across
- ramp up
- Ray Kroc (雷·克罗克): 麦当劳主要创办人
- teaser (戏弄者) is a particularly baffling (令人困惑的) problem that is said to have a correct solution
- brain teaser (脑筋急转弯【戏弄大脑】).
- you can introduce XXX to your friends and family by sharing this 25 second teaser (an advertisement that offers something free in order to arouse customers’ interest) video.
- An unconvincing analysis claiming to debunk (揭穿真相，暴露) the health benefits of moderate drinking.
- junk science is promoted by credulous (轻信的，易受骗的) organizations
- The commentary also outlines some hallmarks (特点) of potentially dubious (可疑的，不可靠的) science.
- “Wow, today’s the school picnic!”, exclaimed (呼喊，惊叫，大声说) Tom.
- That strikes me as rather bold
- Public speaking is daunting (使人畏缩的，使人气馁的) for most people.
- Panda experts in China are trying to demystify his unusual fur color.
- Think of the mundane (世俗的，平凡的) tasks that you do everyday.
- mundane world: 红尘
- Theodore Roosevelt: 西奥多·罗斯福
- David Brooks: 专栏作家布鲁克斯
- Freakonomics: 魔鬼经济学
- lapped up
- Satoshi Kanazawa: 金泽哲
- essentialism: 本质主义
- cardiologist: 心脏病医生
- foie: 法文，肝之意
- spin a tale: 编造故事， spun a false tale
- Thomas Kuhn: 托马斯•库恩
- Lakatos: 拉卡多斯
- Karl Popper
- Errol Morris: 埃洛莫里斯
- stratosphere: 平流层
- celebrity: 名望
- credulity: 轻信
- hiatus: 间断
- fallacy: 谬误
- disdain: 鄙视蔑视
- as far as I can tell: 据我所知
- You really are a fabulous (极好的，绝妙的) designer.
- If you have a slight edge it means you have a small advantage over someone.
- in silico: 电脑模拟
- in vivo: 生物活体内
- in vitro: 生物活体外
- constrain & constraint
- The court said that the right to free expression was paramount (首要的，主要的；最高的，至上的).
- Such parables may seem too contrived (不自然的，勉强的) to be illuminating (富于启发的).
- He ended up in hospital due to a block in his artery (动脉、干道、主流).
- myocardial (心肌的) infarction (梗塞)
- myocardium: 心肌
- adventitia (外膜，动脉外膜), media (血管中层，中脉), intima (内膜)
- Researchers used the CT images to learn if any of the subjects had atherosclerosis (【医】动脉粥样硬化) before the study begun.
- The rumors of his dismissal have been circulating for months.
- You’re pretty cavalier considering your carelessness almost killed my daughter.
- The next homophone is which and witch (巫婆、女巫).
- witchcraft: 巫术，魔法
- Why are my eyes always brimming (vi. 满溢； n. 深容器的内边或河、湖等水域的最高线) with tears?
- She runs the business in tandem with (同…合作、串联) her husband.
- Contrary to popular belief, they serve no salutary economic purpose.
- they found that the motion of the midges (蚊子) is not random.
- concrete type
- Beside being eco-friendly, the fuel cell (燃料电池) cars get excellent mileage (英里数).
- Ecuador (厄瓜多尔) has over 4000 species of orchids (兰花), making it the orchid capital of the world.
- radix (基数，根) astragali (【植】黄芪属): 黄芪
- Combine with mixed vegetables, and diced (切成方块) turkey.
- think of generating random numbers by rolling dice (骰子).
- Women, especially beautiful ones, have long understood that there’s nothing so tantalizing (诱人的，引起好奇心的) as something you can’t understand.
- Theses species hailed from (【车、船】来自；【人】出生于) three different evolutionary lineages (血统，家系，世系).
- rule of thumb
- opt for
- at the expense of
- If both a pair of homologous (同源的) chromosomes are missing, nullisomy (缺体性，缺对染色体) results.
- The stretch is also the only federally designated wildlife migration corridor (走廊).
- I never worked at anything pertaining (与…有关系的，附属…的) to sports.
- The company allegedly used fake invoices (发票) to obtain the loans.
- bump up
- He said that racism is endemic in this country.
- rigorous and concise
- concrete types
- Loneliness causes high blood pressure, high cholesterol (胆固醇).
- pare it down
- boilerplate code: 样板代码
- Bristol (布里斯托) is one of the most congested (拥堵的) cities in Britain.
- prokaryotes, eukaryotes
- Escherichia coli
- 酿酒酵母（Saccharomyces cerevisiae）
- The U.S. has assimilated (吸收，消化；同化) people from European countries.
- And defusing (平息，缓和，拆除【炸弹的】引信) the issue should pave the way for more nuanced (微妙的，具有细微差别的) and constructive politics.
- with a grain of salt: an English language idiom that means to view something with skepticism or not to interpret something literally.
- Sediments (沉积物) between a glacier (冰河，冰川) and the ground may also facilitate (使便利) slippage.
- Victoire, who’s in the epilogue (结语，尾声), she is so named because she was born on the anniversary of the battle that finished it all.
- I am greatly indebted (负债的，感激的，受惠的) to you for your help.
- So etymology (词源学) is the history of a word and then its historical development over time of its meaning.
- To skewer (刺穿，串住) a sacred (神圣的，庄严的，宗教的) cow, means to defy (公然反抗，藐视) what is generally held as indisputable (无可争辩的，不容置疑的).
- Protestant (新教徒，新教徒的), Catholic (天主教的)
- If we had tens of thousands of skeletons distributed at regular intervals through the historical record, there would be appreciably (可察觉地，明显地) more degrees of shading.
- So they reanalyzed their data in light of (根据，鉴于) the new maps.
- We’ve seen the economy moving forward, albeit a little too slowly, he said.
- It did, however, have another weapon at its disposal (任其支配，任其处置).
- These tensions are exacerbated (使恶化，使加重) between the wars.
- They glossed over some key issues on that front.
- The athlete’s success was attributed to systematic training.
- lower/upper extremity (上/下肢)
- She’s tried every knack (诀窍，本领) in Cupid (【罗马神话中的爱神】丘比特)‘s book to get her guy to marry her.
- The team’s limp performance has many people calling for the head coach’s resignation (辞职).
- the limpid outlook of a man who is at peace with himself as he awaits death.
- the lush fields were the envy of neighboring farmers.
- the lush sounds of the orchestra
- vagabonds (流浪者，游手好闲者) meandering (漫步，蜿蜒缓慢流动) through life
- Reading will fertilize vocabulary.
- A blind patriotic fervor is called chauvinism.
- a convoluted thriller, the plot of which I was never able to actually decipher.
- a complex literary text difficult for many people to decode.
- anything but (=not at all, by no means, never)除…以外任何事；根本不，绝不决不，根本不
- Dick seldom talks of anything but music.
- Conceited (自负的，骄傲自满的) people never hear anything but praise. (凡是爱慕虚荣的人听得进赞美的话)
- The bridge is anything but safe.(那座桥根本不安全)
- His behavior is anything but satisfactory. (他的行为根本不能令人满意)
- But those captured were anything but terrorists. (但那些被逮捕的人根本不是恐怖分子)
- He didn’t speak anything but Greek. (他只会说希腊语)
- He’s anything but an abject (卑鄙的，卑劣的) coward. (他决不是可鄙的懦夫)
- cowardice: 懦弱，胆怯
- Do you ever do anything but yack (废话)? (你除了叨叨还会干啥？)
- I will eat anything but carrot. (我什么都吃，就是不吃胡萝卜)
- She is anything but a beauty. (她一点也不漂亮。)
- nothing but (=only)只不过，除了…以外什么也没有
- all but (=almost, nearly)几乎，差一点
- none but(=no one except)只有，除…外谁不
- Numerous historical examples illustrate both the overriding influence that scientists’ prejudices have on their interpretation of data and the consequent impairment of their intellectual objectivity.
- Jone was unable to recognize the contradictions in his attitudes that were obvious to everyone else; even the hint of an untruth was repugnant to him, but he courted serious trouble by always cheating on his taxes.
- She responded with such asperity that we knew she was offended by the question.
- He has encountered more than his share of asperities on the road to success.
- Envy can make oneself backward; self-confidence can tell oneself to be aspirant.
- He says face veils like the niqab (尼卡布，一些穆斯林妇女在公共场合戴的面纱，通常露出眼睛) are not a religious requirement.
- To reduce fraud, an opaque network of government bank accounts has been replaced by a centralized system.
- as if he could pierce those sheets of water so opaque to our eyes and scan the deepest seas.
- Mr Zingales has written an elegy to the America he found when he moved there 24 years ago from an Italy that was rife with nepotism (裙带关系).
- We keep records on every single hive, and that compendium of records goes back quite a long time.
- Jeremiad wreathes upon my feeling, while shadow of shiver covers my mind.
- He made speech of panegric.
- In an hour-long philippic, the legislator denounced the lobbyists opposing his bill.
- Their profligate lifestyle resulted in bankruptcy.
- Improvident behavior is likely to imprint indelible marks on a person’s life and personality.
- In times of economic woe, when normal patterns of consumption and investment are frozen, prodigal government speeding can sometimes be the only way to break the vicious circle (恶性循环) of declining demand and shrinking employment.
- Jaw line contoured by the bristling red hair of the fighter, watchful, pugnacious.
- Things have come full circle since penurious sailors from the Far East first arrived two centuries ago.
- In May, to no one’s surprise. he declared the city insolvent.
- I cannot feel it will make for a very restful retirement, can you?
- True to form (一如既往，像往常一样), Walter started asking him about his own retirement.
- These were very remarkable, but as eccentric as all his other accomplishments.
- She had known from the start that her philosophy teacher was eccentric.
- If true, that suggests a syllogism: that the love of time is a root of evil, too.
- Spencer’s idiosyncratic drawing of a large fairy on a tiny water-lily leaf captures an imagination that strained against conventional rules of composition from the start.
- a fact that helps explain how it manages to be both profligate and stingy, and is forever in the red.
- The concert was rather an amateurish affair.
- Only when we deal with these problems successfully can we benefit the most from university amalgamation.
- It is not just about the president. It’s a whole amalgam of stuff, the scandals surrounding the president or people close to the president certainly, but also there are investigations of corruption in some of conglomerates for example.
- the synergy between artist and record company.
- just as you may need a tonic when you have been ill.
- Throughout her book Ms Ahuja seems to be in a trance herself, in thrall to the glamour of her subjects.
- The Palestinians demanding a state are weak, divided and quiescent; morose as they are, few favour a return to suicide-bombing.
- And the campaign really got rancorous when Goldsmith tried to link Khan and extremists.
- Such counter-currents will prevent Kentish Town from gentrifying fully, suggests Gillian Tindall, a local historian.
- Interpreters are also skilled at keeping aplomb in the face of chaos.
- Ireland, too, is a paradise of greenery, with far fewer people than populous England and even more quaint villages scattered among its low-lying hills and forever green fields.
- Right, and that suggests the qualities that are most germane to the job.
- The fortress by King Philip Augustus was situated on the right bank of the Seine, overlooking– at that time– splendid bucolic scenery.
- But overall, Mr Agar has abstracted and made manageable a range of rich and informed analysis.
- He also emphasized what he called the main thing: “a human-typable keyboard instead of a stupid, cryptic front panel with a bunch of lights and switches.”
- In a few recalcitrant places, captial punishment is holding steady or picking up.
- The visitor also sees other evolving friendships and aesthetic kinships taking place.
- Manifest an obliging disposition, and they can not but regard you with affection.
- It provides simpler and more perspicuous explanations than its rivals.
- This theory is too abstruse to be taught in class.
- Despite having steeled (使坚强，使坚定) herself for the worst, the new band (乐队) director was disheartened to hear the cacophonous (发音不和谐的，粗腔横调的)/discordant sounds emanating from the freshman orchestra (管弦乐队).
- He orchestrated (精心安排) that entire evening (晚会).
- Bede, the author of A History of the English Church and People, was so widely revered (尊敬，崇敬)/esteemed (尊敬) that he has been almost universally known as “The Venerable (值得尊重的，受敬佩的) Bede” since the ninth century.
- In addition to the detailed written regulations regarding play, a novice golfer must also learn the implicit/tacit (adj. indicated by necessary connotation (内涵，含蓄，暗示) though not expressed directly), but nonetheless important, rules of etiquette (礼节，礼仪).
- Based on the desire to restrict further water pollution, the Clean Water Act of 1972 began under auspicious (有前途的，有希望的；吉祥的，吉兆的)/promising terms, but opponents soon assailed (攻击，质问) the bill in the fought for its ratification (正式批准，认可).
- Jane Austen’s novel, Emma, paints a comedy of errors that results when its heroine (女英雄，女主角) tries her hand at creating love matches, an effort which she attributes to her own benevolence/magnanimity instead of a selfish need to meddle.
- While interviewing for a job as a computer consultant, Robert consciously provided a paucity (缺乏，少量)/dearth (缺乏，稀少) of references, knowing full well that he had few former employers who would be laudatory (赞美的，赞赏的) about his past projects.
- While most of the tasks undertaken by the interns were undemanding, a fact that led to the flood of applicants for the positions each year, there was one arduous/onerous duty: cleaning out the garbage bins in the laboratory.
- In an attempt to inveigle/entice voters to support her, the incumbent politician beguilingly greeted a room full of constituents and pleged to lower taxes–even though she had only ever done the opposite while in office.
- After a series of storms, the once arid landscape became verdant/bountiful for the first time in many months.
- Although he received many visitors, the misanthropic (厌恶人类的)/curmudgeonly (小气的，脾气坏的) old man shooed them away after only a few minutes.
- Eileen used to be a picky eater, but since a new complex of fine dining and ethnic restaurants opened in her neighborhood, she has been quite epicurean (好美食的，【通过美食】享乐主义的)/gourmandizing (gourmandize: n. 大吃大喝 v. 狼吞虎咽).
- The rise of the nascent middle class catalyzed (催化，促进) a new economic boom (经济繁荣，经济腾飞).
- The malodor (恶臭，臭气) of the rotten (腐烂的) meat made us nauseate (作呕，厌恶，产生恶感).
- As the nexus (关系，连结，连系) for three great religions, Jerusalem (耶路撒冷) has had a troubled as well as illustrious (著名的，杰出的，卓越的) history.
- His involvement was nominal (名义上的，有名无实的).
- The two girls soon became fast (紧的，稳固的) and inseparable friends.
- Recent discoveries have generally vindicated the physicist’s theories.
- a novel that presents a fairly veracious and unvarnished picture of the lives of affluent suburbanites.
- Inevitably, his remarkable success attracted the invidious attention of the other sales representatives.
- As loyalty unites lovers, so perfidy estranges friends.
- Every year I go to Kunming to enjoy its cool and salubrious climate.
- only a diaphanous hope of success.
- Every time this guy visits me, one of my books disappears. I don’t want to say he steals them, but I really smell a rat.
- As soon as the war ends, the government will start to repatriate war refugees.
- The moon waxes and the wanes.
- But the picture may not be as bleak as it seems.
- My ship was tossed about many days in storms off Cape Horn.
- To perpetuate them it is our sacred duty to preserve it.
- The same lethargy, I am afraid, characterizes the use of our faculties and senses.
- It can also help perpetuate stereotypes, the inscrutable Japanese, bowing all the time, taking costs of pictures. Makes you wonder how the Japanese stereotype us.
- The children are apparently intrigued by the tale.
- The intrigue (阴谋，诡计) was quickly discovered, and the would-be assassins were arrested.
- The twins have an intuitive awareness of each other’s feelings.
- The hardship (艰难，困苦) of army training inured (使习惯；使适应) her to the rigors (严酷，艰苦) of desert warfare.
- The government is too effete to take out the powerful special interests that really ruin this state.
- Safety lessons dinned into us over and over.
- On the whole, situation has significantly improved with only sporadic disturbances.
- He was deeply impressed by the sprightly Gypsy dance.
- In statistics, a spurious relationship is a mathematical relationship in which two events or variables have no direct causal connection, but it may be wrongly inferred that they do, due to either coincidence or the presence of a certain third, unseen factor.
- Fiercely independent, the elderly couple spurned all offers of financial help.
- The kitten crept silently across the floor before suddenly pouncing on the mouse.
- Complaints about stifling smog conditions reach crescendo.
- Climate change has exerted (施加) a ponderable influence on world politics.
- The committee will probably pore over the results of the study for a long time before making their decision.
- He habitually transforms brief anecdotes into prolix sagas that exhaust his listeners.
- The burglary, which he committed while still a teen, was but a prologue to a wasted life of crime.
- The law was promulagated in June 1988.
- The dams along the river are interfering with the salmon’s ability to propagate.
- The temple was built to honor the gods in times of plenty and to propitiate them in times of trouble.
- I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you how much I appreciated the lovely gift.
- He gave up smoking only after a prolonged inducement by all the other family members.
- He loved to show off his protean talent.
- Beauty is as evanescent as a rainbow.
- He was eulogized at his funeral as a caring husband and a good father.
- The Internet allows us to disseminate information faster.
- We managed to entangle the string of lights into a hopeless mess of wires.
- The history of Alexander the Great is entangled by variant accounts of his exploits.
- A string of inconsistent statements finally entrapped the witness.
- He entreated his boss for another chance.
- Thwarting centuries of would-be conquerors, the Aztec fortress of Chapultepec seemed impregnable, until U.S. forces under General Winfield Scott were able to take the fortress with surprisingly little effort.
- Her genteel behaviors at the ball make others conjecture that she must come from a distinguished noble family.
- It would be gauche to mention the subject.
- The presumptuous doctor didn’t even bother to explain to me the treatment that I would be receiving.
- Under such a circumstance his demand for attention was utterly presumptuous (自以为是的，专横的，冒失的).
- We could hear the cook in the kitchen railing against his assistant and wondered if we’d ever get our food.
- Vociferous opponents of the bill protested angrily outside the Congress.
- King Richard I of England was given the very laudatory epithet “the Lion-Hearted”.
- His personal code of behavior on the playing field is epitomized (成为…的缩影) by his favorite saying, Nice guys finish last.
- consider the sample as an epitome (缩影) of the underlying population.
- He procrastinated (拖延，耽搁) and missed the submission deadline.
- The strike may prod (刺激，促使) the government into action.
- A single blast (爆炸，冲击波) of the shotgun (霰弹猎枪) squandered (驱散；浪费，挥霍) the herd (兽群、畜群) of deer (鹿).
- He veered (转向) the car abruptly (突然地，意外地) to the right to avoid a collision (碰撞，冲突).
- She is venerated (尊敬，崇敬) by the public as a saint (圣人，道德崇高的人).
- He was vituperated (谩骂，辱骂) for betraying his friends.
- We do not have even the faintest inkling of what the project was all about.
- A suspension without pay is condign punishment for breaking the company’s code of business ethics.
- All people concurred to pass the reform legislation.
- The administration had nothing but contempt for the ultimate Frisbee team and frequently spoke disdainfully of it.
- We accepted his offer to pay for our dinners without demur.
- an impartial and perspicacious judge
- Her skill and talent ennoble her profession.
- The kind of ennui comes from having too much time on one’s hands and too little will to find something productive to do.
- ensconce the spare house key in a place where no thief would think to look.
- A brief but embarrassing silence ensued.
- their clandestine love affair
- covert alliance
- European missionaries converted thousands to Christianity.
- evidence that led to the suspect’s conviction
- The meeting adjourned for a week.
- Massage therapy can be used as an adjunct along with the medication.
- The transaction was totally aboveboard, so there was no reason to question it.
- He took a surreptitious glance at her knees.
- a furtive glance at her
- The SWAT team carried out a stealth raid on the house, which was believed to be harboring a terrorist cell.
- The drive to create is indigenous to humanity.
- agonize over every decision
- Children were agog over new toys.
- impugn (责难，驳斥) a political opponent’s character
- Well-doer never does chicanery and person who is good at chicanery does not belong well-doer.
- My wife chided me for forgetting to offer our guests some refreshments.
- I absolutely get choleric when a salesman calls during the dinner hour.
- Men of choleric type take to kicking and smashing.
- The revised system chords (n. 和弦; v. 调弦) perfectly with the original goals.
- choral society: 合唱团
- A representation of Cupid as a naked, cherubic boy usually is used as a symbol of love.
- The spy obtained the documents by subterfuge.
- The actor must have had some esoteric motive for leaving stage.
- In just a few pages the writer etched an unforgettable portrait of one of the more remarkable First Ladies.
- The minister eschews involvement in local politics, since he doesn’t want to diminish his moral authority in the community.
- The exhibit was a hodgepodge of mediocre art, bad art, and really bad art.
- His failure was brought on by his hubris.
- an expurgated edition of the letters.
- exquisite pen-and-ink drawings of city scenes
- One of the immutable laws of television is that low ratings inevitably lead to cancellation.
- She remained impassive as the officers informed her of her son’s death.
- economy, thriftiness, liberal
- meekness (humbleness; timidity)
- static (inert; motionless)
- Autonomous (self-governing; independent)
- Intrinsic (innate; essential)
- auction, auctioneer, bidding
- A baby is god’s most precious (宝贵的，珍贵的) gift.
- frenzied (frantic; highly agitated)
- Sporadic (intermittent or infrequent)
- Ameliorate (improve; make better)
- Denigrate (disparage; defame)
- demonstrate (show; prove) & warrant (justify)
- Reticence (reserve; tendency to keep silent) & gregariousness or sociability.
- Competence (capability; proficiency)
- homogeneous (all of the same kind; uniform)
- Reprobates are unprincipled, wicked people.
- Charlatans are quacks, persons who pretend to have more skill than they actually possess.
- Hypocrites are people who pretend to possess some virtue or skill, but who are faking it.
- unruly (rowdy; disorderly)
- obsequious (fawning; servile)
- Elan means vivacity or liveliness of spirit
- trepidation (apprehension; fear)
- Exorbitant (excessive; overly expensive)
- affluent (wealthy)
- Destitute means needy or impoverished.
- A harangue is a sharp verbal attack, a bitter tirade or diatribe.
- Surreptitious means hidden or stealthy.
- Intransigence means stubbornness. a refusal of any compromise.
- Phlegmatic means not easily disturbed or excited.
- Autocratic means tyrannical or domineering.
- Wistful means pensively sad or yearning
- indigenous & ingenuous & disingenuous
- dignity (formal bearing; nobility of character)
- insincerity (intentional deceitfulness)
- reverence (deep respect; awe)
- abiding attachment (devotion) or regard (esteem)
- Relinquish (surrender; release)
- Instigate (provoke; incite)
- Waive (refrain from claiming; put aside)
- echoes or reiterates (repeats)
- invalidate (discredit or weaken)
- Impede (hinder; block)
- Dampen (depress; deaden)
- malfunction (failure to work properly).
- Condemnation means censure.
- Taxonomy is the science or technique of classification.
- Flagrant means blatant or outrageous
- Dilatory means tardy or tending to delay.
- Aloof means standoffish and remote.
- Terse means abrupt and to the point.
- Apathetic means indifferent and unconcerned.
- Bombastic means pompous and pretentious.
- A euphemism is a mild expression used in place of an unpleasant or offensive one.
- A reverie is a daydream or state of dreamy meditation.
- A postulate is a basic principle or prerequisite.
- A dichotomy is a division or split into two branches.
- diffidence (modesty; insecurity)
- hesitancy (uncertainty; lack of confidence).
- misanthropy (hatred or distrust of humankind).
- enthusiasm (eagerness; zest).
- irascible (irritable).
- defiant (boldly challenging)
- oblivious, incognizant, insensible, unaware, unconscious, unwitting, mindful, vigilant, acquainted, cognizant, conscious, conversant, grounded, informed, knowing, witting
- The March snowstorm obliterated our hopes for an early spring.
- con artist
- He spent the remainder of his life in ignominy after being involved in a bribery scandal.
- stop short of
- as such
- magma chamber: 岩浆房，岩浆库
- mainstay (支柱，骨干) industry
- identifying patients with similar disease trajectory might expedite (加快进展) the diagnosis and treatment and reduce patient suffering.
- The word is now an egalitarian society, but the reality is the existence of such discrimination.
- Here it would seem to be a wall hanging, or even a free standing object of worship.
- It involves a lot of aspects, among which ideological and political education really counts and is one of the most effective ways as well.
- In the research of technology ethic, the relationship between technology and ethic has always been a disputed question.
- There is nothing intrinsically improbable about this incident, which is stamped indeed, with all marks of literary truth. up
- Before that beauty, the years of chaos at the heart of American politics would recede like some extraordinary dream.
- Power is still out to many homes and business, and flood waters are just beginning to recede leaving behind massive damage and debris.
- And a river went out of Eden to water the garden, and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
- The sterile (贫瘠的，无菌的) soil would at least have been proof against a low-land degeneracy.
- sterile water: 无菌水
- orthocentre (orthocenter): 垂心
- Seen from a distance, the facade appears like a rigid volume, but dissolves into a network of structures and levels as you come closer.
- There is another absorbing aspect to this book: its recapitulation of the author’s rise as an architecture critic.
- Up to this point, the legends and histories of the three races mostly agree.
- trace metal
- directrix, eccentricity
- cardioid: 心脏线
- Last but not least 最后但不是最不重要的一点
- But political gridlock should not be conflated with economic reality.
- In this sedate garrison town ringed by jagged peaks, the gentle thrum of the day is usually reduced to a whisper by night.
- The seed germination percentage had a small increase at the beginning of desiccation and then decreased rapidly.
- dormant, hibernate
- locomotive, train
- meadow, field
- geological, geography
- puff, blow, exhale
- seep, seepage
- The Red Cross dispensed (分发) food and clothing to the flood victims.
- Asthma attacks can be triggered by pollen (花粉), dust, harsh (刺激的，严厉的) chemicals or scents (气味).
- resilient: （物体或材料）能复原的；有弹性的；【人的性格】能迅速恢复或重新振作的；适应性强的
- most people are extremely resilient able to withstand trauma (外伤，心理创伤).
- spoiled meat
- peper, aromatic, bark, cinnamon, ginger, clove, maize
- boil it down
- ward off
- A large factory is supposed to built near the community according to the announcement issued by a company.
- There is a growing awareness of both the positive and negative influences that the construction plan brings to our community.
- Participating in community activities is a practical and effective approach for teenagers to enhance their social skills. For example, if a teenager, who is not a sociable person, seizes an opportunity to work in a community as a volunteer for hosting an English conversations group, he is capable of practicing his communication skills by conversing with people of different ages who he might not be acquainted with it. Such an experience enables him to overcome the fear of speaking in front of a group of strangers and master the skills of how to communicate with different kinds of people in an approximate way, both of which contribute to the improvement of his social skills, particularly his communication skills.
- Children who fail in the entrance examination are deprived of the opportunities to receive a better and higher education. Accordingly, with an impressive educational background, it is difficult for them to find a proper job. As a result, they become full of resentment at a society, doing harm to strangers and disrupting social order, both of which inevitably increase juvenile delinquency.
- Several staff members have checked the manuscript for accuracy and ease of use.
- Together they create a picture that hints towards cubism (立体主义).
- be coordinated with, to harmonize with
- What is called resignation (顺从，听从) is confirmed desperation. 所谓听天由命，正是肯定的绝望。
- His obsession could make him by turns hustling (急躁), mean and dejected (沮丧的，灰心的).
- hustle and bustle: 熙熙攘攘，忙碌
- dip, incise
- The farmer bemoaned (惋惜，为…恸哭) his loss.
- moral, mortal
- moral code: 道德准则
- all men are mortal: 人皆有一死
- blend of cultures：文化融合
- diffident, different, indifferent
- boom, flourish
- bull, bullet
- buoyant, prosperous
- by and large
- by force of
- The conflicts has escalated (逐步升级，逐步扩大) into violence.
- They will live only in the songs and chronicles (编年史) of their exterminators (扑灭的人，害虫驱除剂).
- cavalry, soldier
- parasite, prairie
- oral cavity (洞，凹处；腔): 口腔
- champion, support
Nothing. Watching The Greatest Challenge.
- caffeine (咖啡因)
- sip (小口喝) nectar (花蜜，甘露，任何美味的饮料)
- bumblebee: 大黄蜂，雄蜂
- Unnaturally high nicotine (尼古丁) concentrations deterred (制止，阻止，使打消念头) the bees.
- deterrence effect: 威慑效果
- Bees are major pollinators (传粉媒介) of fruits, vegetables and nuts.
- Does your pharmacy (药房) carry lice (虱子，louse 的复数) shampoo (洗发，洗发精)
- Tanks cannot do anything in these craters (弹坑，火山口).
- plate tectonics: 【地质】板块构造论
- geochemist, geochemistry: 地球化学
- A bolide (【天文学】火流星，火球), or fireball, is an extremely bright meteor (流星), and those can be about the size of a grapefruit (葡萄柚，西柚).
- magma, mantle, lava
- stir up
- wipe away
- Valentine’s Day
- poll, no-no
- that’s a philosophical pickle.
- half crash
crash, chat with Prof. Wang
full crash + sleep
- rest on
- Atlantic， Pacific， Arctic, Indian
- Antarctica: 南极洲
- Pangaea Ultima
- more or less
- dozens of
- tap into
- LEDs use only a quarter the energy of incandescent bulbs (白炽灯).
- Hydrogen, Helium
- John Locke, René Descartes.
- or so
- as to that
- red dwarf star
- He rejected an objective understanding of color, in favor of a more subjective understanding.
- through and through
- optics, chromatics
- that sort of thing
- The insulting (出言不逊的，侮辱的，无礼的) remarks stung (sting, 促使，刺激) him to a rage (愤怒).
- stool, mount
- pull (someone or something) out of a hat: To select someone or something entirely at random.
- chanting, bang
- Cabaret Voltaire
- at the eleventh hour
- marble statue
- heroism, divinity
- armor, cloak
- It really gets them enamored with riding and get to make something part of their daily lives.
- The venue is the school.
- He had three forty-fathom (英寻，等于 6 英尺，约合1.8288米) coils of line in reserve now, as well as the coil he was using.
- The vibe in the office is amazing.
- Renaissance, the 16th, 17th centuries.
- artisan, artist
- Raphael, frescos
- to and fro
- carpenter, mason
- portraiture, portrait artist
- make headway
- pharaoh Khufu, Great Pyramid
- Chimpanzees, primates, chimps, gorillas, orangutans
- stand alone, hierarchy
- corvid, corvidae, raven, jay, crow, magpie
- It is important because it sets animals with a sense of self apart from those without a sense of self.
- tubing, sheet
- brass, trumpet, trombone
- rust, patina
- Another 30 people died in the hull (船体，船身) where they are believed to have suffocated (呼吸困难，窒息而死).
- barnacle（藤壶【小甲壳动物，附着于水下岩石或船底等】）, shellfish（贝类动物，甲壳类动物）
- Long-term solutions include conservation, recycling waste water and building desalination (海水淡化、脱盐) centers.
- a pinch of [salt]：一撮，少许
Nirvana (涅槃【超脱一切烦恼的境界】) in Fire: 琅琊榜
the disguiser: 伪装者
empresses in the palace：甄嬛传
the glory of Tang dynasty: 大唐荣耀
Beijing Municipality (北京市【自治市；自治区；自治市或区的政府当局】)
- The model can be used to match any subsequent image, or part thereof (在其中).
- It plumbs (探测，探索，examine thoroughly and in great depth) the depths of its protagonist (主人公)‘s indecisiveness (优柔寡断), and the tragic (悲痛的，悲剧的) consequences thereof (由此).
- I don’t think I have finesse (n. subtly skillful handling of a situation) for the job. I’m like a round peg (桩) in a square hole.
- The university encourages applications from academically strong students irrespective (不考虑的，不顾的) of their nationality.
- Maybe some coffee will perk you up (活跃起来，振作精神).
- They found that papers with terse[r] (简洁的，扼要的) titles top the citation count.
- state of the art: the latest and most sophisticated (精密的，尖端的；老练的，见多识广的；复杂的) or advanced stage of a technology, art, or science.
- complex: 侧重内在关系的复杂，需通过仔细研究与了解才能掌握和运用
- complicated: 近似 complex，但语气更强，着重极其复杂，很难分析、分辨或解释
- sophisticated: 侧重事物发展或达到高级的程度所体现出的复杂
- intricate: 着重指错综复杂，令人迷糊理解。